Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Peacock tv

Jump to solution

when are they gonna get peacock tv app

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Peacock

Jump to solution

OOohh I didn't think about checking the TiVo Stream 4K.  Which, ironically, I have plugged into my Roku TV.  I will do that.  I am able to get Peacock on my Samsung Android TV so I am not completely without.  I have been through the app and it ran fine for me. I was impressed to see many of the old Universal Monster movies on it, some of my favs.  I will be using this app through TiVo and Samsung.  Sorry Roku!

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Peacock Tv

Jump to solution

Actually, it is big cable fighting against streaming devices.

AT&T (WarnerBros & DirectTV & UVerse) and Comcast (Universal, NBC, Cox & Comcast Cable) are going after the 2 largest streaming services, Roku & Amazon Fire, to try to get control back of all content to big cable.

Disney+. the largest media company who does not own any cable, had no problem launching on and paying the very small fee for their service on the Roku devices.

This is NOT Roku's fault. This is an attempt to jack up prices again once they are launched and on services to recoup the money they have lost by people cutting their cable cord.  If they want to stay viable, they will cooperate with Roku and have their apps available within 2-3 months.

Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Peacock tv

Jump to solution

@msjaxson2005 wrote:

when are they gonna get peacock tv app

As soon as Roku and NBC quit playing hardball in the negotiations and come to some agreement.  So far, neither one has blinked...

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well get with it! This is strike 2. First HBO Max, now Peacock.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@djf73 wrote:

AT&T (WarnerBros & DirectTV & UVerse) and Comcast (Universal, NBC, Cox & Comcast Cable) are going after the 2 largest streaming services, Roku & Amazon Fire, to try to get control back of all content to big cable.

Disney+. the largest media company who does not own any cable, had no problem launching on and paying the very small fee for their service on the Roku devices.

This is NOT Roku's fault. This is an attempt to jack up prices again once they are launched and on services to recoup the money they have lost by people cutting their cable cord.  If they want to stay viable, they will cooperate with Roku and have their apps available within 2-3 months.

This has nothing to do with paying an upfront fee. There was no dispute with Disney + because it has no ads so there was no ad revenue to divide. Same with Netflix. Peacock and the ad-supported HBO Max version coming next year will have ads so, the revenue divide needs to be negotiated. Disney+ and Netflix also sell all of their own subscriptions and don't use Roku, Amazon, or anyone else as a go-between. Roku is demanding a cut of ad revenue and subscription fees from selling HBO Max and Peacock themselves in the Roku Channel while having the service's programming there, something Netflix and Disney + will never allow. Disney made it clear that their family friendly programming would never be allowed outside of their app's sandbox and Roku was smart enough to say "okay, we'll just take the upfront fee". Roku is basically Netflix's child company so, Netflix writes it's own terms with them.

But with HBO Max and Peacock, Roku and Amazon are digging in their heels and demanding a cut of ad revenue, subscription fees, and demanding to have the services' programming in their aggregate channels. I read that Roku was willing to lower their ad revenue cut if NBC gave them free programming for the Roku Channel but NBC/Universal is reluctant because some of those shows are supposed to be Peacock premiums. Those are the issues: ad revenue, subscription cuts, and whether the programming will be exclusive to the service's app, like Netflix and Disney+, or not. HBO Max and Peacock obviously want to be seen as premium apps like Netflix, Disney+, and Prime instead of second tier like Showtime and Epix, which are in the Roku Channel. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@djf73 wrote:

And in one word, it's clear why you're completely wrong about this. Neither Roku nor Amazon Fire are streaming services of any merit. They don't offer content themselves that is in any way competitive with cable or with these streaming channel providers (How many of you have ever even opened the Roku channel? Practically none). 

HBOMax and NBC are going up against Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Roku is a platform that people access content through. There is no question that content is king and that the largest streaming services, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and Hulu are in control of the streaming world. Your misguided belief that Roku somehow is responsible for those services basically means you've fallen for Roku's marketing—but every single thing you watch on Roku is available on non-Roku devices, and now multiple things you can't watch on Roku are too. 

Roku is not a service. It sells a device that used to be known for accessing basically every service, and now no longer is known for what was its only killer feature.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@JTrochester wrote:

I have belling friends and family that they should switch to roku and roku tv's because Roku always has the apps and update all the time.

I am very unhappy I paid for a year of peacock and now I can't watch it as I have all roku tv's . Same goes for my HBO Max, my HBO go is leaving at the end of the month.

I am seriously thinking of getting rid of them and going with something else.

I did the same. I paid for a year in advance and can only watch it on my phone. I’m not happy about that. Thinking of switching streaming devices.

Highlighted
Level 7

I Want NBC's Peacock On Roku

Jump to solution

Why doesn't Roku have NBC's Peacock channel on its lineup?

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Peacock

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@HDMIGuy wrote:

I have the Peacock app on my phone and computer.  Not sure what the complaints about the app are, it worked fine for me.  I also have a Firestick 4k and several Roku devices.  Of course no app for those at this time.  

I installed the Peacock app on my Shield last night, and it won't even start. I can see why there are so many complaints about it in the Google play store. I haven't been able to even see what's offered yet. And even for free use you still have to have a user account.

The app has worked great on my iPhone 6s. I just don’t want to watch tv on my phone, so I’m extremely annoyed that roku doesn’t have it. Maybe the google version isn’t working as well as the iOS?