Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Peacock Tv

Jump to solution

I bought Roku as a device to play apps.

That is not what it seems to be now as Peacock and Roku are at a disagreement on sharing revenues.

Because of this my hardware purchase was a waste of time.

Please stop using your users to extract extra revenue out of app providers. I’ve already paid you for several devices.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

For years, Roku was a hardware maker focused on making the best streaming boxes. Then the company decided to go public and like all Wall Street companies they developed an insatiable appetite for "growth." Roku decided it wasn't enough to make great hardware any more, they had to become a content distributor and now in 2020 they're having old-fashioned cable-company style carriage disputes with the content providers. So now you can't get Peacock or HBO Max or who knows what else because Roku is playing its greed-fueled games of brinksmanship with those providers.

I was a happy Roku customer for years but it's not the same company it was when they started. Now that their products have stopped being a useful one-box solution for all the apps I want to watch, they're dead to me and I'm done with them. There are other products out there now that do what Roku used to do without holding their customers hostage trying to prop up their must-win business models. Chromecast Sabrina on the horizon will probably end up being the best replacement of all for those who can wait.

Farewell Roku, I offer you my firm middle finger.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

so disappointed in Roku's sudden gread.  Now I have a apple TV that has peacock and I am shifting my viewing to it from Roku.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Um.... Peacock is offering their channel for FREE. Roku is the problem here, not Peacock! Get your facts straight!

ETA - This was supposed to be in reply to someone who was saying that Peacock was the one being unreasonable. Evidently clicking on the "reply" by an individual comment doesn't actually let us reply to that comment? That is stupid.

Highlighted
Level 7

adding channel

Jump to solution

what are the chances of add peacocktv.com to the roku format ? i love the channel and would like to see it added .Also is the a web browser that can be used on roku to surf the internet ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

If I move away from Roku to stream the new HBO Max and Peacock what service would you recommend to run them both?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: adding channel

Jump to solution

Roku is still in negotiation with NBC to offer the Peacock channel. It and HBO Max are the subject of tough negotiations, and neither side seems willing to bend. You can find a number of different threads here about them both.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@amdfamily wrote:

If I move away from Roku to stream the new HBO Max and Peacock what service would you recommend to run them both?

Of the three Roku units I had in service, one was an older Model 3. I took that one out of service and replaced it with an Apple TV 4k unit. It receives Peacock flawlessly and so far has performed noticeably faster than the Roku it replaced.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I bought a cheap chromecast for now, it should arrive today.  If I like it I will replace Roku as needed moving forward.  The lesson for me is to always vary the technology I use, just until now Roku was the gold standard. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I originally said I didn't want to dump my 3 Roku Ultra units that I just bought in December, 2019, but I'm rethinking that now. We're coming up on 3 weeks now since Peacock TV launched, with no end in sight to the dispute between NBC and Roku. Similarly for the dispute preventing HBO max from appearing on the Roku platform. Then there was that dispute with Roku where Fox was removed from the platform. It's starting to look like Fox, HBO and NBC aren't the problem here. When I bought my first Roku years ago, they supported a wide variety of apps, moreso than anyone else. At that time, Roku was, for all intents and purposes, a neutral hardware platform where you could get apps for virtually every streaming service. As time has gone on, that's become less and less true. I have to say that I've become disenchanted with Roku of late, and will purchase an inexpensive Chromecast today so that I can get Peacock TV on the big screen, and will start looking at other streaming platforms that will satisfy my needs. Roku seems to have forgotten what made them the most popular streaming platform on the planet, and are more concerned with money now, rather than satisfying the needs of their customers. Shame on them.