Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSTV-900
Level 7

Re: Peacock Tv

Jump to solution

I have a Samsung Smart TV and I have a Roku HD that I got quite a while ago, Is that the reason I do not see Peacock on my Roku.  I do see it on Roku on my desktop.  I see on the list of supported devices that the Roku HD is not listed, does that mean I can only see Peacock if I get a newer Roku, one of the listed supported devices?

0 Kudos
MSTV-900
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a Samsung Smart TV and I have a Roku HD that I got quite a while ago, Is that the reason I do not see Peacock on my Roku.  I do see it on my desktop.  I see on the list of supported devices that the Roku HD is not listed, does that mean I can only see Peacock if I get a newer Roku, one of the listed supported devices?

0 Kudos
JoelA
Level 8

Jump to solution

I don’t think that’s a great analogy. A new video card is hundreds of dollars. You can get a new chrome cast from Amazon for less than $23 delivered. Thankfully either Roku or Peacock sobered up and got the deal done. Furthermore, you can’t get the shows that are on peacock on Netflix or Hulu. 

0 Kudos
MC5
Level 8

Jump to solution

I pay for Playon channel.. I watch Peacock and HBO Max on it...its better about adding channels to there servers than Roku is..

JoelA
Level 8

Jump to solution

I got PlayOn cloud but have never used it. 

0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@JoelA wrote:

I don’t think that’s a great analogy. A new video card is hundreds of dollars. You can get a new chrome cast from Amazon for less than $23 delivered. Thankfully either Roku or Peacock sobered up and got the deal done. Furthermore, you can’t get the shows that are on peacock on Netflix or Hulu. 

NBC got sobered up. They threatened to pull all 46 apps they have on Roku, and Roku said, "Ok." NBC immediately pretended they didn't really mean it and came to an agreement with Roku. Less than 72 hours later, Peacock app on Roku.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Jump to solution

@bknabe wrote:

@JoelA wrote:

NBC got sobered up. They threatened to pull all 46 apps they have on Roku, and Roku said, "Ok." NBC immediately pretended they didn't really mean it and came to an agreement with Roku. Less than 72 hours later, Peacock app on Roku.

I don't believe the negotiated terms are public but until proven otherwise I'll believe the opposite - that Roku reduced their ridiculous demand for doing the same as any number of other cheap devices can do.

0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@lesmikesell wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@JoelA wrote:

I don't believe the negotiated terms are public but until proven otherwise I'll believe the opposite - that Roku reduced their ridiculous demand for doing the same as any number of other cheap devices can do.

Here are a couple of articles. Unfortunately they don't contain the full text of the letter Roku sent out. Someone posted it on one of the forums here, but I don't know which. It made it sound very much like Roku was going to let NBCU content go. Likely it was a bargaining tactic, but could NBCU afford to call the bluff to what I'm assuming was their bluff - there was too much revenue at stake for them to actually sever ties with Roku. 

https://www.engadget.com/nbc-peacock-now-available-for-roku-streaming-devices-144123980.html

https://www.engadget.com/comcast-nbc-universal-roku-peacock-dispute-142058425.html

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/nbcu-pull-apps-roku-peacock-1234774659/

0 Kudos
JPmidland
Level 8

Jump to solution

So, since I bought my first Roku, I have had to upgrade three times already.  So now, my total investment in Roku is at $99 or so. To get one more streaming service, they want me to upgrade again.  So now my total investment in streaming is $130.   No thank you. 

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Jump to solution

From that first Engadget link:

"The terms of the deal Roku and NBC Universal eventually struck remain unknown, but the latter's hard line ultimately may have been responsible for forcing Roku's hand."

0 Kudos