Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demsd
Level 13

Re: Peacock Tv

Jump to solution

@Nosybear wrote:

Sorry, I did not buy a television from Peacock.  I bought it from TCL who chose Roku as their service provider.  Don't go trying to blame NBC Universal for not putting their content on my device:  They don't control the device.  I paid YOU for service when I bought the TV.  Of course, I also have a Fire Stick, I can plug it into your TV and bypass Roku at need.  Is that what you want?  It isn't what I want but rest assured, I can do it easily.  Gives me options.  Kind of feels like freedom, no?

TCL partnered with Roku in 2014 to leverage the Roku TV platform to build and deliver smart TVs because it [Roku] along with Amazon Fire have 70% of the streaming market. TCL is not the only company that makes Roku TVs.

Roku isn't the problem.

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
klgrube
Level 9

Jump to solution

EXCUSE ME?  You have no clue why I might object to another power cord.  The point is, I really shouldn't need to do that if Roku would get its act together and make this app available to its customers.

demsd
Level 13

Re: Why no peacocktv channel?

Jump to solution

@Slappyslapop wrote:

Obviously, based on this thread alone there is a demand for Roku and Peacock to work our whatever differences they have.  I am giving serious consideration to dropping Roku as my streaming service due to this issue.  Very, very frustrated over this impasse.  Is it so hard to want to take our money?  

Apparently, it is hard for NBCUniversal to not only take your money, but agree to an ad share like PlutoTV and other add supported channels agree to.

You're blaming the wrong side.

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
klgrube
Level 9

Jump to solution

REALLY?  What an absolutely outrageous and obnoxious comment.  These are real customers here asking for a service that no other platform has a problem providing, only Roku!  Good grief!  How else can customers get the attention of a company besides either speaking out or leaving - or BOTH as I am about to do.  I just found nice Smart TV on sale at Best Buy that I'm seriously considering.

0 Kudos
demsd
Level 13

Jump to solution

@JoelA wrote:

Still, in and of itself, NBC is not a cable network. Furthermore, considering Peacock TV made deals with both chromecast and Apple TV to provide their service I would in fact put all the blame on Roku because they are clearly asking for more than chromecast and Apple TV did. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Roku and Amazon Fire control 70% of the streaming market. Making an agreement with Apple doesn't amount to much.

Don't you find it odd that ViacomCBS [which owns PlutoTV], STIRR, XUMO, Tubi, Crackle and other ad supported channels have no problem with Roku's terms? It's ridiculous to think that somehow Roku is the problem.

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
demsd
Level 13

Jump to solution

@gemdrum wrote:

It is time to stop the idiocy.  We are people who want the peacock app, not just a stream of revenue.  I thought Roku was different than other streaming devices, but it appears I am wrong.  Whenever a big corporation is involved we all become revenue "sheep".  I will reconsider buying any more Roku devices.

Comcast isn't a big corporation?

[post edited] Most recently it was the free content Roku added to the Roku TV live guide. I never seen so many clowns crying about getting free stuff, some of which are no doubt here crying because they can't get free stuff.

Get over yourselves, people. Get an Apple or Android TV device and move along.

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
demsd
Level 13

Jump to solution

@DWinks49 wrote:

I do believe that it is the responsibility of NBC to provide the app software, not Roku.

There might be other financial reasons for this that I am unaware of but the technical reasons fall on the shoulders of NBC. Frankly, I'm not sure why they wouldn't write apps that will get them the broadest distribution but likely the reasons are financial. They may be looking for more favorable licensing for an app to run on Roku.

Addendum OK... here is one explanation of what is going on https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/why-peacock-isnt-on-roku.html.

Essentially, NBCUniversal wants it cake, and it wants to eat it too. As much as that article says its not really about the money, in other articles it was pointed out that Roku said it would drop it's usual 30% cut of ad revenue in half, and NBCUniversal said that was too much. It thinks everything should be their way or the highway.

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
Tags (1)
demsd
Level 13

Jump to solution

@klgrube wrote:

EXCUSE ME?  You have no clue why I might object to another power cord.  The point is, I really shouldn't need to do that if Roku would get its act together and make this app available to its customers.

Roku isn't stopping NBCUniversal from releasing a channel on the platform. It is not the one that should be getting it's act together.

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
Tags (1)
demsd
Level 13

Jump to solution

@klgrube wrote:

REALLY?  What an absolutely outrageous and obnoxious comment.  These are real customers here asking for a service that no other platform has a problem providing, only Roku!  Good grief!  How else can customers get the attention of a company besides either speaking out or leaving - or BOTH as I am about to do.  I just found nice Smart TV on sale at Best Buy that I'm seriously considering.

No other platform? There are only so many of them, and two of them control 70% of the streaming market, and conveniently are the two NBCUniversal is refusing to come to an agreement with.

I'm going to be a broken record. ViacomCBS, Tubi, Xumo, Crackle, and other ad supported services are on Roku. Clearly they don't have a problem with Roku. NBCUniversal on the other hand...

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
Ezra100
Level 7

Jump to solution

Can't watch Psych 2, the movie. Have always used Roku, even on smart TVs bc just smooth * practical.....up until now. Will b vigilantly exploring new options.