Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfc
Level 7

Re: Why no TCM?

"Greg_M" wrote:
That's what I meant by direct to Roku app so that you do not have to have a 3rd party involved

I'd love an app like that too. But it looks like the Filmstruck deal is the best we're going to get for now. I haven't added Filmstruck because 'TCM Select' is of course not the same as TCM.
0 Kudos
dfc
Level 7

"Greg_M" wrote:
I've been watching and waiting for TCM to come out with a direct to Roku app so I can subscribe without having to buy some package of stuff I never watch.
It's been some time since I saw "It's coming" on the TCM internet site.

Anyone know why it's taking so long?

I don't have TCM on my Spectrum package for that very reason. I was paying for too many channel that I didn't like. I'd be happy to pay TCM directly for a 'TCM on Roku' channel.
0 Kudos

You'd be better served by lobbying TCM directly. They would have to provide the channel, not Roku.
0 Kudos
offthegrid
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"offthegrid" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:
TCM content is available via FilmStr

It's $6.99/month.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/157757/filmstruck

The content is not the same.

No, it's not. But it's as close as you're going to get, since TCM doesn't have an app for Roku.

'it's as close as you're going to get' wasn't a distinction you made in the post I quoted.
0 Kudos
denhow
Level 7

Whether FilmStruck is "close enough" is no longer an issue. AT&T is shutting Filmstruck down.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-is-shutting-down-tcms-streaming-service-filmstruck/
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 12

"denhow" wrote:
Whether FilmStruck is "close enough" is no longer an issue. AT&T is shutting Filmstruck down.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-is-shutting-down-tcms-streaming-service-filmstruck/

Expect to see this and other niche Turner libraries rolled into one pricey premium monthly subscription along with HBO and WB library under WARNER MEDIA streaming. Sad.

Wish the Criterion Collection could just land back under the Hulu umbrella as it was previously.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 11

I have TCM on  the Dish Anywhere app, but I had to buy a Fire Box to get it, and Dish Anywhere is not on Roku either. One reason I still have Dish, as I get so many channel apps free with the sub to Dish and have the "on demand" feature. I have an older Dish receiver that does not offer on demand or internet access, so the streaming boxes work well for me.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 12

"flamebird" wrote:
I'd be thrilled with an actual TCM app; either paid or validated.  I get TCM on Directv Now; but on the companion app for my tablet, it's so much better. Two live feeds; a searchable list of movies with a large rotating catalogue each month. I finally have a nice big screen TV and want to watch the movies on that not on a ten inch tablet.

FYI. There is a Watch TCM app now available for Roku devices. It is NOT a standalone subscription app and does require a cable subscription authorization. Gave it a test run and it does provide what you listed above. Live TCM EAST and TCM WEST feeds. Searchable list of movies by Genres and filters for A to Z, Z to A, Recently Added or Expiring Soon. Ability to create a WATCHLIST. I also like that every movie that I selected while browsing had a EXPIRATION DATE on the detail page to allow you to best manage your viewing queue. Enjoy on that Nice Big Screen of yours.   Smiley Very Happy

Nice addition to the Roku lineup!!
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
dfc
Level 7

I also noticed that 'Watch TCM' is now available on Roku. But as you state it still requires a cable subscription with TCM. That kills it for me because the reason I dropped TCM from cable in the first place is because Spectrum puts TCM in a tier that requires me to pay ton$ each month for channels I'll never watch. Maybe TCM will eventually allow a stand-alone subscription to Watch TCM, but I doubt it.
0 Kudos

0 Kudos