Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zundfolge
Level 7

Why my YouTube app downgrade?

I have two 3900 Roku Expresses. On one its running the newest version of the YouTube app (with the 3 video wide grid), but the other day my other 3900 backdated the YouTube app to the old one that strings videos along one line.

What's double plus weird is that both machines are 3900RW running OS 8.0.1 build 4042-51 and both of them on the YouTube App under "App Version" say 30bb0649

Why would two Rokus of the exact same model be installing different versions of YouTube (and why would different versions have the same version number)? And how can I fix this?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Why my YouTube app downgrade?

From what I understand YouTube tests various layouts. So even though the app is a single version, the layout could. E different as they do "A/B testing"
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

Same thing happened to me on my Roku Ultra, was using the better newer app since early December then about a week ago all of a sudden it downgrades itself to the lousy old version. I hate it and I've stopped using youtube as long as I'm forced to downgrade to this crap version.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I usually just cast from my phone, so I don't have to deal with the Roku version..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
bozzy
Level 9

"jeffrok" wrote:
I usually just cast from my phone, so I don't have to deal with the Roku version..

The new UI on Roku is actually better than the phone IMHO (except searching obviously). Finally having a vertical list for your subscriptions and being able to select the resolution are big updates.
0 Kudos
TBDave
Level 10

Mine downgraded too.  I'm using the Premiere+.

The newer version is much better.  I hope they switch it back soon.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

My Roku 2 model which is the same as the old Roku 3 is still running the new and improved youtube app while my Roku Ultra is still using the downgraded version. This makes absolutely no sense and is ridiculous. The old version is terrible and it makes no sense to force a downgrade on the newest Roku player while an older model is running the new youtube version.
0 Kudos