Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

HBO released a channel update yesterday. I watched something on Max last night with no issues. It did return to the info screen the first time I attempted to play, but then played fine after that. I only tried one title, but I'll use it some more this evening most likely. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TanayaHill
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello,

Based on the dozens of prior complaints not just on this thread but on others, your suggestions are not the answer. There is clearly something that happened with the latest software update. The problem is not just with HBO Max. I actually removed Hulu and added it back, didn’t help. I even reset my TV back to factory settings, still no help. At this point, Roku needs to roll out a new software update to fix the issue as your customers now have TVs that are unusable with paid subscriptions that we cannot access. This is unacceptable.

Graybeard1201
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I believe that ROKU should roll back yesterday’s update, I have done all the “workaround” steps and see nothing changing, HBO kicks back to main no matter what program is chosen and Prime gives a something went wrong screen. 

CRK1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Agreed. This is a major bug in the new release and needs to be rolled back ASAP!

atc98092

Jump to solution

If you are referring to the recent channel update to HBO Max, Roku themselves cannot roll it back to the previous version. Only HBO can control the version of their channel available. 

Dan

Graybeard1201
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

No, I’m referring to OS10.5 released on the 16th updated my system on the 18th, device Hisense TV

0 Kudos
Graybeard1201
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

And I’ve narrowed it down to ROKU as HBO MAX, Amazon Prime and Peacock will load and play on my iPhone but will not launch on my tv

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Well, I watched Max last night with no problem on my Ultra 4800, and it has 10.5. Max is still completely unusable on my Nvidia Shield tube model, and has been that way for months. HBO app programmers are terrible, and it spills over into all their products. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Graybeard1201
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If it was one service it would be no issue but, it is across all my subs, it won’t even allow airdrop from an iPhone

CRK1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Finally found something that worked.

1. Remove all unused channels

2. Cleared cache, step 3 here https://streamersworld.com/fix-roku-not-enough-space/

3. Restarted using system settings

4. Removed HBO Max

5. Restarted again

6. Added HBO Max and it works

Looks like some kind of cache full condition or memory limit with the 10.5 release. Hope this helps.