Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loriw1a

Why is the HBO Max app suddenly not working? Can't play programs on my Roku device

Jump to solution

Every time I click on an HBO Max program to play, it pauses for a moment and then returns to HBO main screen. It does not do this on any other streaming channel on my Roku streaming stick. The HBO Max app works on my phone fine so this problem is only with my Roku device, which is only a few months old. Any suggestions?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the issue.

If you are experiencing an issue with HBO Max not playing after enrolling with a free trial to HBO Max, we wanted to reach out as we believe we have identified a workaround to allow you to access the HBO Max channel. You will need to change your password by going to HBOMax.com and logging into your account. Once you have logged into your account, select your Profile and on the top right corner. Once this drop down list appears select Account and then change your password to a different password. This should allow you to then be able to log into the HBO Max channel on your Roku device.

HBO Max is also working on releasing a new channel version which will have a fix for this issue however, this workaround should allow you to access the channel in the meantime.

You can find additional information on how to change your password or perform a password reset if you forgot your password to your HBO Max account here:

https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001266 - Change your email or password
https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001261 - Forgot my HBO Max Password

If you have any questions or concerns, regarding performing these steps we recommend you contact HBO Max for further assistance with changing your password: https://help.hbomax.com/us/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why is the HBO Max app suddenly not working? *** THIS THREAD HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED! ***

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience while the channel provider investigated the issue further. We believe the issue is now resolved. We would recommend checking for a manual system update that will check for a channel update.

For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our Support page here: Update the software on your Roku

Once the HBO Max channel has been updated, try checking to see if the issue still occurs.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
301 REPLIES 301
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @loriw1a

Thanks for the post.

In some cases, removing the channel then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.

• Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

• Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

For additional information, see these support site resources:

Let us know this works for you.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

Jump to solution

I ma having the same issue.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times as well as restart the ROKU device with nothing changing.  I am also getting playback errors on Disney + and Peacock.  All other apps I have are working.  I have a Roku Soundbar, FYI.

HanShotFirst1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Having the same issue with HBOMax, Peacock and a YouTube video that lasts over an hour. Shorter YouTube videos play fine. Other apps seem to work fine. After attempting to load a movie after a few minutes it will shut off and restart the device.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@luckylemans @HanShotFirst1

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us more specific information about the issue you are experiencing?

1) have you tried removing the channel, restarting the Roku device, then adding the channel back again, in that specific order?

2) what Roku model device are you using? how are you powering the Roku device? is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

3) what are the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
st1sj
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue.  HBO Max will NOT play certain movies--once "play" is pressed, it buffers and then goes right back to the movie page.  It is an endless loop.

I have uninstalled HBO Max app.  Restarted Roku.  Add HBO Max.  Problem persists.  Repeat process won't work.  Just an endless loop.

HBO Max works on other devices, so this appears to be a Roku specific issue.  Other shows on HBO Max app on Roku runs fine.

One movie's run time is 136 minutes.  The other movie's run time is 156 minutes.  Is Roku having issues with long runtime?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@st1sj

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact HBO Max support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach HBO Max support here: https://help.hbomax.com/us/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sfjoey77

Jump to solution

Did anyone get this fixed yet? Having same issue.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@sfjoey77

Thanks for the inquiry.

Can you please provide more details about the issue you are experiencing?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Aliorum

Jump to solution

Same exact issue, cant play anything on my tcl tv.
the system works as followed

1-hbo max opens fine and can pick any movie

2- select movie, hbo max gives little loading circles on bottom of screen

3-boots you back to top of hbo max homescreen 

4-repeat

Updated both my roku and hbo app and the problem persists