Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

I did all that. Nothing. When I try to get register as a new user on the HBO Max site, Roku isn’t listed as a provider. Did the Roku system update and restarted it, nothing. The app thinks for a few seconds then goes back to the title tile. It doesn’t let me remove the channel in order to reload it. Disney + and Hulu work.  No way to contact Roku customer support: just keep clicking through links to articles which don’t address the problem. If this is an indication of how apps work, no way am I paying for any of these channels if this is the level of frustration I’m in for. Already wasted an evening clicking around to no avail. 

0 Kudos
noted1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If you bought HBO via Roku, you have to unsubscribe to remove the channel. You can always resubscribe. Roku is never seen as a provider like a cable provider.

If you want to have a support interaction, the best idea is to call. 

I had long, good conversations with both that walked through a huge variety of technical workarounds did not solve this problem, but they might be able to help you. Roku followed up with several emails that ended with "We regret the inconvenience. We will check with our engineering team and get back once there is an update."

I ended up buying HBO directly from HBO and canceled my Roku HBO. I hope when that subscription runs out on Feb 2, the Roku might work again. I have also purchased a newer Roku to see if that might solve the problem. Will report back here if it does. If it doesn't I just return it. I also got a new Google Chrome cast to cast HBO from my computer to my TV.  Some have suggested replacing Roku with Amazon Firestick and I will do that if this doesn't get sorted out.

Best of luck!

0 Kudos
noted1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi RokuDanny-R,

Do you have any more news about the problem being discussed in this thread? Roku engineering emailed me, "We regret the inconvenience. We will check with our engineering team and get back once there is an update." But that seems so inconclusive. Should I abandon my Roku for a different platform so I can watch the HBO Max to which I am subscribed? Can you share what is going on in engineering to fix this? How long should I wait before I give up?

Cordially yours.

0 Kudos
noted1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Tonight I tried getting HBO Max to work on my new Roku express 4K+. It does not BUT I discovered that Xfinity has apps & I could sign in to my HBO Max from there. So now I can watch HBO.

hmarcuse
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We have a Roku TV, and another TV with a Roku stick. On the Roku TV this problem occurs (just goes back to the "play" screen--but it knows where we left off on another device), BUT on the TV with the Roku stick it will play. So the problem seems to be with that particular Roku TV. We did just update the Roku system on the Roku TV, and that did not solve the problem.

Roku, WTF?

MomofBoyz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You sound like your living in our house that’s exactly our issue it’s the Ruko TV that 100% doesn’t work the HBO app that we pay for with our Comcast/xfinity cable. But using the app through the cable box (no problems and usually the Ruko stick one works well downstairs…. 
so I’m now stuck with a TV I never wanted in my bedroom that won’t play movies off HBO 

to anyone else who is Fedup and has these Ruko TV’s can I use a fire stick or apple “whatever” with the Ruko screaming program TV??? (Likely asking the question jumbled) 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@MomofBoyz wrote:

to anyone else who is Fedup and has these Roku TV’s can I use a fire stick or apple “whatever” with the Roku screaming program TV??? (Likely asking the question jumbled) 

Yes, you can connect any other brand of streaming player to a Roku TV, same as any other HDMI equipped TV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play. *** THIS THREAD HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED ***

Jump to solution

@MomofBoyz wrote:

to anyone else who is Fedup and has these Ruko TV’s can I use a fire stick or apple “whatever” with the Ruko screaming program TV??? (Likely asking the question jumbled) 

Also, don't ever buy a TV whose main purpose is to provide a specific streaming purpose. Always use an external streaming device. Always.

Your problems are an excellent reason why. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have 4 Roku devices.   3 will play HBOMax but the Roku Premere will not.

Any solutions?

0 Kudos
MomofBoyz
Channel Surfer

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play. *** THIS THREAD HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED ***

Jump to solution

Believe me when I say I never wanted a TV let alone one like this because I figured this would happen. Like everything else when you lock into one way of doing things in this case “one way of watching Your shows” your stuck when it doesn’t work. ✌️

0 Kudos