Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noted1
Binge Watcher

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play *** THIS THREAD HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED ***

Jump to solution

I have gone through all the fixes with no success.

Spent days with Roku support with no success.

Spent hours with HBO with no success. They promised to get back with me but haven't.

I decided to upgrade my old roku 3, just in case this is related to the age of that device, since the channel works on my roku 4. Hope that works.

I also decided to upgrade my chromecast so I can cast HBO from computer to TV while this all gets sorted out.

For those who are thinking of switching to other platforms, here's a good review I found: https://www.techradar.com/news/television/apple-tv-vs-amazon-fire-tv-vs-roku-vs-chromecast 

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play *** THIS THREAD HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED ***

Jump to solution

Have you considered trying a platform other than Roku? If you're making the new purchase anyways, that might be a good way to narrow down the source of the problem (device vs. app).

0 Kudos
GandM
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

Everything else streams better on the Roku. I used to have a first (maybe 2nd) gen fire stick. I had that thing for years, and it was getting really bad, couldn't stream anything because of the lag and random stops.

The Roku is an upgrade, and as much as I'm unhappy with the one app, the others work.

I'm still not happy about HBO Max, since I wanted to binge a couple shows. But I'll stick with it and see if they fix it. If not, I'll move on

0 Kudos
noted1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have, but because my partner has roku 4 in his house, it's easiest if we keep the same interface. His device works perfectly with HBO Max & doesn't really want to change. If I can chrome cast HBO to my TV, that's be okay until this gets sorted out. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you want to try an inexpensive option, go to Walmart and get a Onn 4K Streaming player. Hopefully you can find a store with one in stock. They run on Android TV, and are $30 or less. It's the least costly option for a non-Roku, and overall I've had a good experience with one I tested. It's lacking in memory, so there's a limit to the number of apps you can install. I can't get mine up update right now because of no memory space. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

onn. is nothing more than a special branding for Walmart. It's actually a Dynalink device, which, you know...sucks.

You get what you pay for. It would be better to spend the additional $20 and get the Chromecast with Google TV. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

For the price the Onn is OK. Yes, it's a Walmart house brand, same as Insignia is a Best Buy house brand. But it many ways it can keep up with my Nvidia Shield, which is far more expensive. It's simply a cheap way to try a different platform. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Szymonik
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It's simply shocking (and telling) that here we are MONTHS later and we're still where we are.

I found the best solution and one which worked for me:

I got rid of the Roku and bought an Amazon Firestick - which works with HBO Max and I had up and running five (5) minutes out of the box.

Cheers

Peter

0 Kudos
dhjaffe

Jump to solution

I have the same problem & know how to fix it by removing the HBO MAX channel on my Roku, signing in again on the HBO MAX app on my phone, and then reinstalling the HBO MAX channel on my Roku. But I seem to have to fix it about every 3 days or so. The problem keeps happening & it's becoming annoying! Is there a way to permanently fix this?

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

No, there isn't.

Roku has been "working" on this problem since October, with no clue as how to remedy the problem, other than blaming the HBO Max app developers. 

Currently, the only true and permanent solution is to switch to another platform, like Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick. The HBO Max app works fine with those devices.

Good luck. 

0 Kudos