Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

LOL!

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@gandl , thanks so much for posting. I have an older Express that has the same problem. I was going to try to reset it completely and reinstall everything from scratch, but hearing that your brand new Express has the exact same HBOMax problem (and non-problems with other apps), you've just saved me an hour of re-entering all my app passwords.

Roku doesn't seem interested in fixing this, or even lighting a fire under HBO. 

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@smorgasbord wrote:

Roku doesn't seem interested in fixing this, or even lighting a fire under HBO. 

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that the Roku issues are isolated to just the HBO Max app, simply because this thread started off complaining about that app.

As seen in the previous posts over these past three or four months, Roku is having issues with multiple apps, not just HBO Max. This is a Roku programming issue. It is not an app issue.

0 Kudos
MomofBoyz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Not that it matters but what other apps are finding issues on ruko?? For us we have a paid HBO through Comcast so we only have the playing a chosen movie on the brand new Ruko installed TV. Everywhere else it works and all movie apps we work 🤞🤞 they finally fix this one or Allow us to go back to whatever programming was around pre-glitch 🤞🙏🤞

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

And just because one person posts on here that "multiple" channels are failing doesn't make it accurate either. There are many users that have zero problems with HBO Max, or any other channel. It's certainly possible there's something within the Roku OS that the channel programmers aren't using correctly. It might be hardware specific. But I've been watching HBO Max on several of my Roku players for months without any issue. I don't have problems with YouTube, Disney+, or any other channel.

While Roku needs to take responsibility for issues they create (and there are issues with Roku Media Player, and apparently some WiFi issues with Express players), the channel developers have to stop claiming that there's nothing wrong with their channel and it's all Roku's fault. HBO in particular has terrible programmers, and their app on Android devices has just as many issues as the Roku version. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

...and their app on Android devices has just as many issues as the Roku version. 

I'm calling you out on that, as your statement is both general and assumptive. 

I have multiple family members, as well as myself, using Android devices.  These include the Samsung models S10+, S20+, S21 Ultra, and A51, as well as a OnePlus 6.  Not one, not a single one, has issues with the HBO Max app. Not. One. 

And more than "one person" has commented on this thread about issues with multiple apps on Roku. Numerous people have complained about various apps not working correctly. Review the last few months and you'll see.

On top of that, there are other threads on this forum that have complaints about apps not working on a myriad of Roku devices and TVs.

Are all apps perfect? No.

Do some run more smoothly than others and have better programmers or developers? Yes.

Does any of that apply here? No, because the evidence is clear:

This. Is. A. Roku. Problem. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I have the 2019 Shield tube model. It's worthless with HBO Max. It gets extremely laggy simply scrolling through the content, and finally just locks up. Sometimes I can exit out of the app, while other times I have to pull the power and reboot. My 2017 Shield seems to be OK, but it's two different pieces of hardware, and the HBO programmers have not make the app work correctly on the one. those Android boxes you are listing are all phones, not comparable. 

Your claim it's a Roku problem is no more valid than mine saying it's HBO. I know of dozens of Roku boxes that run HBO Max just fine, including several versions of the Ultra, the Premiere 3920, the Express 4K+, the Roku 4, and more. I've seen many posts in a different forum of Shield users with the same issue I have with mine. So it's cross-platform. 

Yes, there are other threads here on this forum about problems with other channels. It's not specifically an HBO Max issue for some. But in many of those other cases there were issues with other channels as well. You are the one that is generalizing and making assumptions. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Clarification would've been nice. When someone states "Android devices", people think of smartphones, not Android "boxes".

And my claim is definitely more valid than yours, because I have all of these posts and threads on Roku's forum to back it up. 

At the end of the day, Roku is a platform that's showing the early signs of implosion. 

0 Kudos
talos72
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I get that many have issues with other apps but the problem is that this thread specifically seemed to pertain to HBO MAX (as is my case, no other app has problems on my Roku but for HBO). I get many have problems with other apps but when people start posting stuff about other apps and the posts devolve into general issues with apps and Roku focus is lost. 

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Understood. We're just trying to stop the Roku mouthpieces from gaslighting the situation and making people believe it's simply an HBO Max app problem, when it's consistently been shown that the issue is with the Roku ecosystem.

To bring this specific thread up-to-date, there doesn't appear to be any one solution to the HBO Max app not working properly on multiple Roku devices. HBO Max is pointing their finger at Roku and Roku is pointing it at HBO Max. 

Whatever posted "solution" for one person doesn't seem to always work for another. And contrary to what the Roku moderators would have you think, this thread has NOT been solved.

Your best bet is to start at the beginning of the thread and try each solution, one by one. It'll suck, and you shouldn't have to do it, but until the Roku engineers can figure out what happened back in October to screw everything up, it is, unfortunately, your only option. 

0 Kudos