Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ag1219
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

scottandreggina: go back and read my posting on how to resolve the issue that I posted yesterday under "ag1219."  3 other persons followed my logic and it worked for them as well.  As for "forgot password" from your HBO Max confirmed email address that HBO Max obtained from Roku when you signed up for the 30-day free trial.  Follow the steps I wrote and you should gain access on your Roku device.

scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ag1219 wrote:

scottandreggina: go back and read my posting on how to resolve the issue that I posted yesterday under "ag1219."  3 other persons followed my logic and it worked for them as well.  As for "forgot password" from your HBO Max confirmed email address that HBO Max obtained from Roku when you signed up for the 30-day free trial.  Follow the steps I wrote and you should gain access on your Roku device.

Working for three people is a long way from working as a final solution for all. We'll have to wait and see if more people have success with it.

Also, this isn't an HBO Max issue. This is a Roku issue, affecting multiple apps (Showtime is one), so our advice stands. 

All that being said, you have accomplished more troubleshooting by yourself than the entire Roku team has during the past 3 or 4 months, so kudos to you.

0 Kudos
Scooter25
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm trying to use HBO Max as part of a free trial through Roku.

I can't change my password for HBO Max because I don't have an HBO Max account.

I can't set up an HBO Max account because when I try to set it up Roku is not listed as a service provider.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Scooter

0 Kudos
Scooter25
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Above solution worked. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Draebcir

Jump to solution

Same problem Allorum reported. Updated the App on 55” Roku TV, reinstalled it, still spinning white dots and it returns to the menu with the program I’m trying to play. has been happening for weeks. Add to it how I constantly have to log in online to get content to play on the TV (as if I am resubscribing), and I’m about DONE with HBOMAX.

0 Kudos
noted1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My HBO Max unloading app is not related to having a free trail. This happened to me on Jan 12 after buying a subscription to HBO Max via Roku. The longterm-subscription had expired due to an expired credit card and the channel was working fine until this.  HBO Max channel did not recognize the subscription, the channel went wonky with a message that it couldn't reach the server, and then it fell into the repeat, unchangeable behavior of HBO Max logo on purple screen, then a black screen with the rotating dots that last about 30 seconds, then kicked back to a Roku screen.

I've reset everything many times (unplugging router, unplugging Roku, restarting Roku, clearing Roku cache, updating Roku system, updating HBO Max, deleting and reinstalling HBO Max) and in various sequences as suggested in this thread  and by Roku. I downloaded the app to my iPhone. I have not done a factory reset since no one in this thread who did that had success.

I got a new subscription from HBO Max not via Roku.

I changed my password.

Currently I can get the channel to load on my Roku 4 (signed into my HBO Max direct subscription) but not my Roku 3.

I have spend hours on the phone with Roku support and HBO support. And I have spent three days back and forth with the Roku support via email. Their most recent advice is to change my HBO Max password which I have done several times without any change in the behavior of the HBO Max channel. Roku support says HBO Max is working on releasing a new channel version which will have a fix.

Last night I ordered a Roku express 4+ in hopes that my old Roku 3 is just failing. Fingers crossed. I would have gotten an Ultra but read many people in this thread with Ultras having the problem.

Have I missed anything?

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yeah:  if you had to buy a new streaming device, why did you go with another Roku and not a Fire Stick or Apple TV?  That wouldn't been a surefire way to tell if it was Roku or HBO Max. 

0 Kudos
noted1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I wanted the same interface and navigation system for all my TVs, since I have a roku 4 on my other tv

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Understandable. Change is never easy. But you might want to rethink that stance. Roku has been having problems for months with multiple apps, not just HBO Max. Now would be the time to make the change, instead of giving Roku more money. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

And for some of us, HBO Max works fine on our Roku devices but have issues on other platforms. It's a sorry state, but at this time the best strategy is to own and use devices on different platforms. The app programmers just don't seem to be able to get every platform right.

Besides Roku, I have two Nvidia Shield players and the Onn 4K media player. The Onn is an outstanding bargain, usually selling at Walmart for only $20 (list is $30). It's Android based, like the Shield, and has most of the same capabilities of the Shield, mostly only lacking full lossless audio support for local media playback. If you don't care for the Amazon-centric user interface of the Fire TV, the Android TV interface might be to your liking. It's not as simple as the Roku, but then nothing else is. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos