Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

@sionna wrote:

Yesterday, I received an email about a 30-day trial of HBO Max. Before signing up, I browsed the app on my Roku TV to see what shows were available. The app worked fine. I was able to browse and search. I proceeded with signing up for the trial from the email link. After completing signup, HBO Max would not open. I see the scrolling dots for a few seconds, then it goes back to the Roku Home Screen. My issue is directly related to signing up for the trial. I do not have an HBO account, nor was I prompted to create one. When I click on Options and Manage Subscription, it says I’m in a free trial period.

Do you have another streaming device, like an Amazon Fire Stick, that you could try using to sign up for a free trial? This would help narrow down if it's a Roku problem or an HBO Max app issue. 

0 Kudos
Stan21-2

Jump to solution

That didn't help. I tried that and it works fine on my mobile device but it doesn't play movies or anything in my Roku express.  If I try Other channels it just works fine. 

0 Kudos
ag1219
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had the same issue today.  I signed up for the 30-day free trial of HBO Max through Roku.  I too after signing up via the computer went to the TV set with the Roku Express 4K+ device and when I clicked on the HBO Max app, it never launched after multiple times, and after multiple restarts and reboots.  It became so frustrating that I gave up after spending hours trying to get it to work.  Hours later, I remembered after I signed up via Roku for the HBO Max trial that HBO had sent me an email to confirm my email address (the email address they were confirming was the email address I use for my Roku account).  I then thought, why don't I try to log into HBO Max directly using my Roku email address which I confirmed and not having a HBO Max password, I just clicked on "forgot password."  HBO Max then sent me an email with a link to create a new password, which I did.  I then went back to the HBO Max sign in, used the email address and my newly created password (although I never had a HBO Max password to begin with), and BAM!  not only did I get into the HBO Max site completely, I could get into HBO Max directly through the Roku device where the HBO Max app was not letting me in.  Now I am finally connected with HBO Max!  Hopefully whoever is reading my response that if you follow my logic, you too will get in.  Bottom line, if Roku or HBO Max would have given clearer instructions on how to access HBO Max after signing up for the 30-day free trial via Roku that you would have to (1) confirm your email address and (2) create a "new" password by clicking on "forgot password," these 200+ complaint responses might not have all been needed.  Good luck everyone!

sionna
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@ag1219 wrote:

I had the same issue today.  I signed up for the 30-day free trial of HBO Max through Roku.  I too after signing up via the computer went to the TV set with the Roku Express 4K+ device and when I clicked on the HBO Max app, it never launched after multiple times, and after multiple restarts and reboots.  It became so frustrating that I gave up after spending hours trying to get it to work.  Hours later, I remembered after I signed up via Roku for the HBO Max trial that HBO had sent me an email to confirm my email address (the email address they were confirming was the email address I use for my Roku account).  I then thought, why don't I try to log into HBO Max directly using my Roku email address which I confirmed and not having a HBO Max password, I just clicked on "forgot password."  HBO Max then sent me an email with a link to create a new password, which I did.  I then went back to the HBO Max sign in, used the email address and my newly created password (although I never had a HBO Max password to begin with), and BAM!  not only did I get into the HBO Max site completely, I could get into HBO Max directly through the Roku device where the HBO Max app was not letting me in.  Now I am finally connected with HBO Max!  Hopefully whoever is reading my response that if you follow my logic, you too will get in.  Bottom line, if Roku or HBO Max would have given clearer instructions on how to access HBO Max after signing up for the 30-day free trial via Roku that you would have to (1) confirm your email address and (2) create a "new" password by clicking on "forgot password," these 200+ complaint responses might not have all been needed.  Good luck everyone!

THANK YOU! This worked for me, too. I received the “verify email address” email, and clicked on it, but was never prompted to create a password. After clicking “forgot password” in order to create a password, I logged in to HBO Max in a browser, and then checked the app on my Roku TV. It’s now working! 

ag1219
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Glad I was able to help you!

jjsport

Jump to solution

To change my password it makes me sign up for a paid subscription. No where can I change my password for the free 30 day trial period. 

0 Kudos
sionna
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@jjsport wrote:

To change my password it makes me sign up for a paid subscription. No where can I change my password for the free 30 day trial period. 

On the sign up page (where you’re prompted to choose a subscription) it also says “sign in” in the upper right corner. Click on that and you will see a login page with the “forgot password” option. 

0 Kudos
tracyann62

Jump to solution

This "fix" worked for me.  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jruss_17

Jump to solution

I cannot change the my password on HBOmax.com because I don't have an account there. I setup the free trial through Roku.com. If I try to setup an account it wants me to pick which level I want.

** I had not seen the posts about clicking "forgot password". I tried that and I was able to get into HBOmax.com  **

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jruss_17 wrote:

I cannot change the my password on HBOmax.com because I don't have an account there. I setup the free trial through Roku.com. If I try to setup an account it wants me to pick which level I want.

Quick note: this is why you should never sign up for a subscription channel through a streaming platform, especially Roku. Always do it either through your internet provider or directly from the company. Far less problems that way.