Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

What about us HBO subscribers, who have never done the free trial, who still can't use HBOMax on Roku?

I tried changing my password from my laptop as directed, and still get the "can't reach server" error.

I tried uninstalling HBOMax, rebooting the Roku, reinstallingHBOMax, and still get the "can't reach server" error.

This was working a couple months ago, and nothing on my end changed to make HBOMax stop working on Roku.

scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Contrary to what Roku wants people to believe, this isn't about the HBO Max app or even the trial period. 

Let me guess: you started having problems around October or November, right? That's because Roku pushed an update that jacked things up and they've been playing catch-up ever since. 

Do a Google search and you'll see what I'm talking about. And make sure it's a Google search, not a search through the Roku forum. The moderators are consistently trying to gaslight people into thinking it's not a Roku issue, so there's a good chance that threads on the Roku forum have been censored and/or altered.

If you don't believe me, just take a look at this thread and you'll see that Roku has already tagged it as being solved, when nothing could be further from the truth.

What they need to do is start reimbursing people for not being able to access their apps through Roku or for having to pay for the trial period and then not being able to watch anything because of the Roku platform bombing out.

0 Kudos
sprite34
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This problem has been ongoing for 3 months now and was wondering if anyone has received a fix for the  channels flipping back to the home screen. It does it on every channel on a brand new streambar. I tried all the fixes that are mentioned throughout  this forum. My son bought me this for xmas and want to make sure they are doing something or have my son return this to the store before the store warranty is done.

0 Kudos
HanShotFirst1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You know what's really crazy is that if the original poster named this "Various apps suddenly won't play" then they wouldn't float this "solved" **bleep**. But hey, we found a possible weird workaround for HBO Max so there you go! Problem solved! It reminds me of chatting with tech support at work.

scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@sprite34 wrote:

My son bought me this for xmas and want to make sure they are doing something or have my son return this to the store before the store warranty is done.

Return it. 

Roku hasn't been able to fix anything since October, so the chances of them being able to resolve these problems before your return period is up is pretty much zero to none. 

Get your money back and look at what Apple, Amazon, and Google have to offer for streaming devices 

0 Kudos
saltydayz

Jump to solution

Still does not work please fix.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@saltydayz wrote:

Still does not work please fix.

You need to provide Roku with your model number and serial number. Max works fine on many Roku devices, so they need to know where the problems are. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
sprite34
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
  • Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU) has slid 11.5% to its lowest point in nearly a year, with analysts including Michael Nathanson issuing further downgrades and target cuts following its mixed third-quarter earnings.
  • Nathanson downgraded the stock to Sell and cut his price target by a third to $220 from $330, citing the potential slower ad growth on Roku Channel as leading services consolidate ad spending.
  • Nathanson benchmarked the Roku Channel against its ad-supported video competitors Pluto TV ( VIAC,  VIACA) and Tubi (FOX, FOXA) to get a handle on Roku's share of ad revenues, but was "left with a large and fast growing portion of unidentifiable ad revenues coming from the long tail of third party services on Roku."

Always follow the money.

Hmmmm. Makes you want to go Hmmmm!

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

That actually makes sense. Low ad revenue means less money to have engineers for troubleshooting whenever app/device issues come up.

Good find.

0 Kudos
sionna
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yesterday, I received an email about a 30-day trial of HBO Max. Before signing up, I browsed the app on my Roku TV to see what shows were available. The app worked fine. I was able to browse and search. I proceeded with signing up for the trial from the email link. After completing signup, HBO Max would not open. I see the scrolling dots for a few seconds, then it goes back to the Roku Home Screen. My issue is directly related to signing up for the trial. I do not have an HBO account, nor was I prompted to create one. When I click on Options and Manage Subscription, it says I’m in a free trial period.

0 Kudos