Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

@smorgasbord first, are you located somewhere other than the US? What is the model number of your Roku? 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
uptree

Re: Why is the HBO Max app suddenly not working? Can't play programs on my Roku device

Jump to solution

What fixed it for me was resetting the password for hbo max so it matched my roku account email and password.

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Re: Why is the HBO Max app suddenly not working? Can't play programs on my Roku device

Jump to solution

@uptree wrote:

What fixed it for me was resetting the password for hbo max so it matched my roku account email and password.

Respectfully, that should've had nothing to do with it. I'm glad it wound up working, but it was probably just a coincidence. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I fixed the issue.  I was having problems with it myself but I believe I this may be a fix for everyone.  
1. Sign out of your HBO Max account within the app

2. Close out and hover over the app and press “ * ” to update it

3.  Next you’re gonna want to delete it

4. Re-download it and sign back into your account.

That should fix the problem like it did for me.  Have a great day and good luck everyone🤚🏿

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@DontLookAtMe, that's definitely not the fix for everyone since I can't get into the HBOMax app to perform your step 1 ("Sign out of your HBO Max account within the app")!

When I launch the app I get the HBOMax screen for a second or so, and then the spinning 3 dots and then it tells me it can't reach the server, which is bull since everything else on the Roku reaches their servers.

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I am in the US.

My Roku is an Express (3900X).

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @smorgasbord,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

Have you tried to get the latest HBO Max channel version by checking for a channel update using your * button on the channel tile, or going to Settings for a System Update there? Then, restart your player. 

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rdoyle1978
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Now we are going in circles.  @RokuMary-F  thank you for the suggestion, but if you look through this now-18-page thread, this has been suggested approximately 10,000,000 times.  It does not solve the issue unfortunately.  It was confirmed a few pages /days ago that the issue may be a combination of HBO and Roku issues, so we are hoping for a resolution soon.  NONE of the fixes have worked for my account.  I've logged out on the app, deleted the Roku app, restarted, then reinstalled - plus the other many MANY things suggested.  There is some sort of code update needed.

smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My GUESS is that my HBOMax app has a username/password that is incorrect or expired, and instead of bouncing me back to re-enter the credentials, it's giving an error message.

I've completely removed the app, restarted the Roku, and then re-installed the app. Same results.

The only remaining thing  I think is for me to completely reset the Roku back to factory settings, and then start from scratch installing all my apps and entering all my credentials. You can see why I'm hesitant to do this.

Note that I can watch HBOMax on my laptop without issue, and I can watch numerous other streaming services on my Roku without issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the issue.

If you are experiencing an issue with HBO Max not playing after enrolling with a free trial to HBO Max, we wanted to reach out as we believe we have identified a workaround to allow you to access the HBO Max channel. You will need to change your password by going to HBOMax.com and logging into your account. Once you have logged into your account, select your Profile and on the top right corner. Once this drop down list appears select Account and then change your password to a different password. This should allow you to then be able to log into the HBO Max channel on your Roku device.

HBO Max is also working on releasing a new channel version which will have a fix for this issue however, this workaround should allow you to access the channel in the meantime.

You can find additional information on how to change your password or perform a password reset if you forgot your password to your HBO Max account here:

https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001266 - Change your email or password
https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001261 - Forgot my HBO Max Password

If you have any questions or concerns, regarding performing these steps we recommend you contact HBO Max for further assistance with changing your password: https://help.hbomax.com/us/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator