Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slugxl

Re: Why is the HBO Max app suddenly not working? Can't play programs on my Roku device

Jump to solution

This problem started recently for me.  Anything I click to play in HBO Max on the Roku seems like it starts to buffer and then goes back to the play screen again.  We cannot watch anything.  I can watch HBO Max on other devices and I am signed in.  It just won't play the videos.  I've tried everything on this forum to fix it but nothing works.  * it did work once after I chose to update the app.  But after that it quit working again.

0 Kudos
mindpilot
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

Yes, I just started today experiencing the same problem with the Roku Channel. Uninstalled, reinstalled, updated. Still doesn't work. Had the same problem with HBOmax a couple months back. Gave up on that because it works fine on my laptop.

When the Roku Channel fails on the Roku platform, it seems to point to a Roku problem, does it not?

scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Lol! Yep, but stop using logic here. The Roku supporters hate it. 

0 Kudos
rachMiel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Good news and bad news: 

Good – I finally got the HBO Max app to work. It was simple, just had to log in to the mobile app, and then the Roku app worked. I probably could have fixed it a month ago when I first tried/failed using it, IF ROKU HAD BEEN PROFESSIONAL ENOUGH TO FIND AND REPORT THE FIX THEN! 

Bad - As I feared, almost to the day, my free HBO Max trial ran out when the Roku HBO Max app started working. I got 2 days of free viewing. AND ROKU IS REFUSING TO FIX THIS FOR ME, TO ENABLE ME TO REDO THE FREE TRIAL, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS THEIR FAULT THAT IT DIDN'T WORK THE FIRST TIME! They are quite simply not taking responsibility for their error, not fixing a problem, not deferring to the customer (me). It's shabby, short-sighted, unprofessional ... and just plain stupid on their part. They are making a lot of enemies over their mishandling of this situation. The probably don't care, but should. 

Btw, I love being able to chat with Roku service humans, but am unhappy to report that I had to repeat myself over and over and over (I don't think they read the messages carefully at all), and got mostly non-straight even dishonest answers, and was disconnected several times, perhaps intentionally. 

All in all, Roku gets an F for how they handled (are handling) this situation. Shame on them! 

Rant over. Disgust with Roku continues. 

rachMiel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

More good news! 

I finally got a manager at Roku (through chat) who gave me straight and honest answers and resolved the problem for me. (After maybe half a dozen chats that were not helpful.) 

Roku seems to be aware of and sincere about fixing the HBO Max app problem. (It's already fixed for me.) And there *are* some really good support people there who care about customers. So stay optimistic! 

0 Kudos
Chanlibz3

Jump to solution

My HBOmax won’t play titles either. It starts episode & pauses & then returns to main page of HBOmax. I’ve restarted my device & reinstalled HBO but it’s still not working, it’s so frustrating. I’ve had to airplay the show from HBO on my cell phone. It’s only roku that’s not working correctly. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

We signed up for the free trial (which is almost expired now) and HBO Max still doesn't work on both our Ultra and our 4k Stick+.

Tried all the things, and none of them worked. Support ticket opened over 10 days ago with no response after it was sent to their "engineering team".

Seems like whatever mechanism that's supposed to create HBO Max access through Roku Pay either didn't work or simply fails to authenticate with HBO Max. Maybe the service that generates the access is dishing out dud certificates. Heck, I'm curious if ANYONE who has activated the trial, and does NOT have a HBO Max account outside of Roku Pay, has been able to log into the channel successfully.

0 Kudos
Kristalm2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had a chat with ROKU tech support a week ago, provided system info and Roku was supposed to get back to me. Still no word but found this thread in Roku Community forum. Note, we have 5 TVs with Roku devices. I just followed recommended steps - remove channel, restart Roku, reload HBO - and still no luck. At this point, not sure what to do next or resolve. 

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Those steps don't work for me. All other channels (NetFlix, Hulu, etc.) work just fine.

Choose HBOMax. Get a quick HBOMax screen, then a wait cursor. Then it times out, telling me it can't reach the HBOMax server and tells me to select HOME to exit. But, Network is OK and all other streaming channels are working fine.

I tried uninstalling HBOMax, then restarting the Roku, then reinstalling HBOMax, then restarting the Roku. Same behavior.

HBOMax works fine on my laptop, too.

My serial number is YG00DY73XXXX  (I blanked out the last 4 digits)

0 Kudos
Kristalm2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had same issue. I saw in previous post that logging into the HBOMAX app on smartphone would resolve issue. I did that today and am now able to load and use HBO. Good luck!

0 Kudos