Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colleend374
Reel Rookie

Re: Why is the HBO Max app suddenly not working? Can't play programs on my Roku device

Jump to solution

Tried ALL the things in this thread except the hammer/fire stick one, still no HBO max for me.

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Re: Why is the HBO Max app suddenly not working? Can't play programs on my Roku device

Jump to solution

Did you do a complete factory reset after getting the latest update? Again, it's stupid and you shouldn't have to, but it might be the only way to resolve this problem. 

0 Kudos
rachMiel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Warning: I tried a fully factory reset (didn't work, HBO Max still failed miserably), just so you know you'll have to log back in to all your apps that require logins, like Netflix, Prime, Hulu ... so be prepared! 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I was able to get the HBO Max app to work in Roku.  I downloaded the regular HBO Max app on my phone, logged in with my info and the system worked on the app.  Then I went back to Roku and open the HBO Max app and it worked.  I don’t know if it is an issue with a sync between the actual HBO Max account and then launching Roku but hope others give this a try.

TrashPanda
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had the same issue and did the following and it worked!

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.

• Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

0 Kudos
MikeMac7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

ROKU needs to fix this now. Tried these “solutions” and they didn’t work. Cannot play any programs on HBO MAX on my TCL tv, but all other channels work. Additionally, HBOMAX works just fine on my other TVs. This is a ROKU problem.

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

After watching this thread for weeks, there are some points of advice I'd like to give out:

1. Don't ever buy a TV from TCL. The quality is pathetic and their customer support is even worse.

2. Don't rely on the built-in apps on a supposed smart TV for your streaming entertainment. Always buy an external device. Not only will they have less issues, but a TV manufacturer is far more likely to drop support for the smart TV function earlier than any of the external streaming device manufacturers would. Plus, you can have far more memory and storage capabilities with external devices then with a smart TV.

3. Don't ever rely on a single streaming device. Always have multiple ones, even if apps are duplicated across all of the platforms. At our house, we have a Roku, an Amazon Fire stick, and an Apple TV. If anything major goes wrong, like the issues we've been having with Roku, and it really comes to a point where it's a problem with a device that needs replacing, it's far easier to do than being in a perpetual troubleshooting scenario with a built-in app on a smart TV.

Those are just personal opinions, from my years of use. Obviously, a lot of people won't agree, especially when it involves an extra cost, but I promise, in the long run, it saves a world of headaches and pays for itself.

0 Kudos
colleend374
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried this couple i’m to the other day and it didn’t work. 
BUT TODAY IT DID!! 

0 Kudos
HanShotFirst1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That's what is so curious though. I have zero problems on my TCL TV while others have. It's an external box in another room that has the problems.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This just worked for me. Bought a new roku express 4k+ .  hbomax did not wanna work. Tried other things that were suggested to no avail. Downloaded the app and signed on there. Clicked on HBO on my roku and it was there with an account made for me ready to go. 

0 Kudos