Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rimuggle
Channel Surfer

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

There is something seriously wrong with you. How much energy are you going to spend telling thousands of users across the country that there is not an issue with ROKU when the company itself has said publicly multiple times that there is a problem. No one has asked you for advice and yet here you are simping for a company that has admitted to the problem and localized it to certain models. 

just stop, there are clowns who make $51k a year and here you are doing it for free. 

scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@HMac wrote:

This is awful that ROKU offers various trials and fails to deliver! I have tried the suggested methods in respect to HBO Max and still nothing. Cancelled the subscription, removed (uninstalled) HBO max from ROKU devices, unlinked ROKU devices, changed the password, signed back in, Re-added (reinstalled) HBO Max, clicked on "Go to channel" and it returns back to the HBO Max home page. The channel NEVER loads. Why is there no ROKU customer service phone to speak to a agent. I see many folks having the same issue .. any other suggestions.

This post right here. This is the one that perfectly epitomizes the insanity that Roku customers are going through getting this technology to work. If there were to be one post that sums up this whole thread, this would be it. 

@HMac, the best solution for you is to just get an Amazon Fire Stick. The apps will simply work and you won't have to jump through hoops to enjoy the content. 

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@scottandreggina I understand that there are some users having issues with multiple channels. For whatever reason, I have no issues with any channel on any of my Roku devices, so there doesn't seem to be a system-wide issue with the Roku OS. I have family members with Roku devices, and they too have no issues.

I can't explain it, as I'm not one of the developers. But as for the HBO app/channel, they have terrible programmers, and it's certainly possible the problem with that particular channel is not related to the Roku OS. Again, it's merely a guess on my part. While I have attempted to write a channel for Roku, it's outside of my capabilities. I have programmed in other languages, but what Roku uses isn't comparable for what I have used. 

You think I'm gaslighting. I'm merely providing another viewpoint, one that has some experience (but not a lot) in the area. HBO has had issues on multiple platforms, not just Roku. Based on their recent updates, they seem to finally be getting a handle on it. For everyone that's having an issue with Max, I'm hoping that they have found and resolved the issue, for all of you.

You keep mentioning HBO Max, but you fail to mention all the other apps that don't work. You seem to have a splinter focus on just that one app. Why?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@scottandreggina wrote:

You keep mentioning HBO Max, but you fail to mention all the other apps that don't work. You seem to have a splinter focus on just that one app. Why?

Because this thread is discussing issues with HBO Max. So that's where I have been focused. Just trying to keep the thread focused on the topic. Discussing other channels within a thread for a single app causes the discussion to go off track, and seldom helps anyone. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

Because this thread is discussing issues with HBO Max. So that's where I have been focused. Just trying to keep the thread focused on the topic. Discussing other channels within a thread for a single app causes the discussion to go off track, and seldom helps anyone. 

Possibly, and I see your point, but the added info of this affecting multiple apps can help people understand that it's a Roku issue and not simply HBO Max. That way they wouldn't waste their time with unnecessary troubleshooting on one app, when that app isn't the problem. 

I would think that to be more important and helpful for the customer.

0 Kudos
Ihaterokosomuch
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That has done nothing for me. This stupid roku is literally worthless. Never buying another and letting everyone know to stay far away. Smashing mine with a hammer tommorow

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Seems rather severe an action for something you paid money for. It most likely still works for everything else, so why trash it? Besides, perhaps the problem will be resolved with a software update (OS or app). You didn't state what model Roku you have, but I watched Max on my Ultra 4800 tonight, and then moved upstairs and finished watching the show on my Premiere. Both worked fine, while my Nvidia Shield (which costs 5 times what my Premiere cost) completely froze up on the same title. HBO has some terrible programmers, so don't expect to have zero problems with another device. It's completely possible you simply have a defective Roku. If you let us know what model you have, perhaps it's still under warranty. Every Roku I have works just fine with HBO Max, so you might be just fine with a replacement. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You don't get it, do you, @atc98092? The situation has become so bad that people are willing to take such severe action, instead of listening to anymore false troubleshooting advice or dealing with non-working Roku devices.

On a side note, I watched Matrix Resurrections last night.  On HBO Max.  On my Amazon Fire Stick. And it played absolutely flawlessly. @Ihaterokosomuch, I recommend you do the same.

0 Kudos
Ihaterokosomuch
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yea going and buying a fire stick right now. Literally just smashed my roku because its a piece of garbage. I dont care about money.

0 Kudos

Re: Why is the HBO Max app suddenly not working? Can't play programs on my Roku device

Jump to solution

Same thing plus Disney plus is doing the same thing. But both will work fine on my ps4.  Did you ever figure out what to do?

0 Kudos