Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

@Malcolm_W @rachMiel

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

If the issue is still not resolved, it may because there is a current issue that is affecting Roku devices with connectivity/loading channels and the appropriate Roku team is currently investigating and working on a resolution.
We appreciate your patience during this time. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to post an update on this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm sure people appreciate you acknowledging their patience and all, but what is Roku doing to compensate those affected by this issue, especially those who had signed up for trials, like Showtime, and have had their trial period sucked up by non-working Roku devices?

0 Kudos
rachMiel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes: What are you doing, Roku, to ensure that customers got what they were promised, in my case, a free 30-day trial of HBO Max? 

If you do nothing but repeat, over and over and over, "We're working on it," while the time period to get the free trial ends, you are going to generate a lot of disappointment and lack of trust in your users. 

Suggestion: Guarantee that you will do whatever it takes to honor your promise to buyers of new Roku devices that they will be able to get the advertised free trials. Less than that is an insult to us customers, and frankly you need love from us now considering your recent woes, not disgust. 

Be a good company and FIX THIS! 

0 Kudos
Meoooo

Jump to solution

We've got multiple Rokus, multiple Fire sticks, a couple of DirectTV boxes and the usual built in TV apps. 

HBO on ALL the Rokus does not work.

HBO on ANYTHING ELSE works fine.

After reading this thread, I'm not even going to worry about figuring it out, the Rokus get tossed

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Meoooo This is a difficult issue to diagnose. I have about 8 different Roku devices, and Max works on all of them without a problem. I also have Max on two different versions of the Nvidia Shield. The older Shield works fine but the newer Shield is worthless with Max. Based on the comments I've seen in multiple forums, HBO simply has terrible app programmers that can't seem to make their app work correctly on all versions of supported devices.

But I've been using my Ultra 4800 almost daily for Max without a problem. Exactly what model Roku devices do you have? Not the model name, please, but the model number. Roku has a very bad habit of reusing the model name on vastly different devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the posts.
We are aware of the issue that is affecting Roku devices with connectivity/loading channels and the appropriate Roku team is currently investigating and working on a resolution.
We appreciate your patience during this time. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to post an update on this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

For what it's worth, after many, many months of complaining to HBO, the app on my Android based Nvidia Shield has finally been fixed. Hopefully their developers can resolve the issues on Roku soon. 

Dan

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

Hopefully their developers can resolve the issues on Roku soon. 

What do you mean? This isn't about the apps. It's about Roku itself.

If it was just HBO Max that was messing up, then I could see the need for the developers to intervene. But it's not just one app. Multiple apps are now non-working. And it's because of Roku.

Put the blame where it belongs and please stop trying to gaslight the situation. 

0 Kudos
HMac
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is awful that ROKU offers various trials and fails to deliver! I have tried the suggested methods in respect to HBO Max and still nothing. Cancelled the subscription, removed (uninstalled) HBO max from ROKU devices, unlinked ROKU devices, changed the password, signed back in, Re-added (reinstalled) HBO Max, clicked on "Go to channel" and it returns back to the HBO Max home page. The channel NEVER loads. Why is there no ROKU customer service phone to speak to a agent. I see many folks having the same issue .. any other suggestions.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@scottandreggina I understand that there are some users having issues with multiple channels. For whatever reason, I have no issues with any channel on any of my Roku devices, so there doesn't seem to be a system-wide issue with the Roku OS. I have family members with Roku devices, and they too have no issues.

I can't explain it, as I'm not one of the developers. But as for the HBO app/channel, they have terrible programmers, and it's certainly possible the problem with that particular channel is not related to the Roku OS. Again, it's merely a guess on my part. While I have attempted to write a channel for Roku, it's outside of my capabilities. I have programmed in other languages, but what Roku uses isn't comparable for what I have used. 

You think I'm gaslighting. I'm merely providing another viewpoint, one that has some experience (but not a lot) in the area. HBO has had issues on multiple platforms, not just Roku. Based on their recent updates, they seem to finally be getting a handle on it. For everyone that's having an issue with Max, I'm hoping that they have found and resolved the issue, for all of you.

Dan

0 Kudos