Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barbara659
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

Tried that.  It's still doesn't work.

Barbara Williams
0 Kudos
SirStreamAlot
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had to manually check for an update, updated. Then reinstalled hbo max and now can play videos again. Roku version 10.5.0 build 4208-29, model 4640x roku ultra

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, there might still be multiple hoops to jump through after the latest build update in order to get things working again. Might only need to uninstall/reinstall HBO Max, might need to do a factory reset, might need to do all of that. It's stupid, but what else are we to expect here? Good luck to you. 

0 Kudos
rdoyle1978
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just adding on here.. I've had this issue since about October - I continually get "Network error.  Unable to communicate with service.  Check networking equipment status or press Home button to exit".  This appears after a minute or so, and the only thing I can do is hit Home.  It is not my networking equipment -this Roku is on the same network as my LG TV, which has an HBO Max app, and which works perfectly fine.  So it's the Roku O/S or the HBO Max Roku build, but no one seems to know which.

This seems slightly different than the issues some others have had - I don't even get the opportunity to choose a profile, and never see the menu.  It just spins and then I get the error.

I'm on version 10.5.0 build 4208-46, and no updates are available.  

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Did you do a factory reset? You shouldn't have to, but you might have no choice.

0 Kudos
rachMiel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I did a factory reset (PITA!) and I've uninstalled Max, restarted Roku, and reinstalled Max several times: THE APP STILL WON'T START. 

Some have said it is necessary to sign out of HBO Max before uninstalling/restarting/installing. But I can't sign out of Max. There's no Sign Out prompt in the popup that comes when I select Max and click on *, and Max won't start so I can't get to a Sign Out prompt in the app itself. 

I bought the new Roku Streaming Stick 4k specifically to get the HBO Max free trial month. But if Roku can't fix the app, I won't be able to get the trial any more. I tried to get Roku to guarantee they'd do whatever they needed to do to get me the trial if they took forever-ish to fix the app, but they were evasive and defensive, the subtext: "Tough luck, dude!" Makes me not trust Roku.

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Agreed. That's why we are now using Amazon Fire Stick exclusively, at least until the turn of the year. Everything works and we haven't had any hiccups. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the posts.
We are aware of the issue that is affecting Roku devices with connectivity/loading channels and the appropriate Roku team is currently investigating and working on a resolution.
We appreciate your patience during this time. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to post an update on this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Malcolm_W

Jump to solution

I purchased this channel yesterday, only to find that it will not play on my up-to-date Ultra. Furthermore, there are no refunds! You should not be selling something that is know to be broken. Btw, there is no option to "Remove Channel" for the HBO Max app on my system. No longer a Roku fan.

0 Kudos
rachMiel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Between this and the patent infractions, Roku is having a tough time. Most companies have to weather difficult periods. The key for me: How do they treat their customers during hard times? 

0 Kudos