Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rimuggle
Channel Surfer

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

Fair enough- but her recommendation was to do exactly what shiv explained in detail they had already done and didn’t solve the problem. Dozens of us have also already told them we did the “troubleshooting” to no avail. Tbh I would be much less upset if they would still trying to gaslight us and just admit that it is a programming issue they are struggling to figure out. Instead they pretend like each time it’s reported it’s a brand new phenomenon which must be caused by user error- even though now thousands of users have reported it and it’s been covered by the media. 

they should just own that they are trying to figure it out and I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only one more than willing to give them a chance. 

scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Agreed. Hopefully they can get an update or rollback out to everyone soon. 

0 Kudos
User80

Jump to solution

I’m having the exact same problem. I’ve tried removing and reinstalling. I’ve reset my device to factory settings. Nothing works 

0 Kudos
rachMiel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same deal for me: The HBO Max app won't start, it tries then goes back to the Roku home page. 

I had a few long conversations on chat with Roku customer support people. They all said the same thing: Our technicians are going to be fixing the HBO Max app any day now, just be patient. Thing is, the HBO Max free trial is only good for a certain amount of time after you buy a new Roku. If Roku takes a long time to fix the app, I won't be able to get the trial. When I told the customer service people that, they just kind of shrugged and repeated: The fix is coming in two days. (That was a week ago.) 

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it's unprofessional for Roku to keep us all in the dark, a breach of trust, and to force their customer service people to lie to us. Bad Roku! 

0 Kudos
Dpd145
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

New update showed up and appears to have fixed all my issues, which were numerous the build is 4208-46

rachMiel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I uninstalled the HBO Max app, restarted Roku, and reinstalled the newest version of the app: Still broken! 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @rachMiel,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

If you are still experiencing a channel playback issue with HBO Max, please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F wrote:

Hi @rachMiel,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

If you are still experiencing a channel playback issue with HBO Max, please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Mary

See, this is exactly why my house isn't using Roku until after the turn of the year: continuous copy-and-paste troubleshooting from a script, even when it's blatantly clear that it's not HBO Max, but the Roku OS itself.

By the way, Roku has a new update for software version 10.5.0. It's now build 4208-46 and it fixed all of the issues we were having with multiple apps not playing.

However, you might need to have the system do a manual check for updates, instead of waiting on the auto update. My Roku was showing that it had just done its daily update check 10 minutes earlier, but I still decided to do a manual check, and wouldn't you know it? Voila! The 4208-46 build showed up, making everything allllllll right.

Isn't that weird how we've been hounded to jump through hoops for nearly a month, checking on all these apps as the possible culprits, when a single update from Roku magically fixed everything? Huh. Go figure. 

0 Kudos
rachMiel
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update tip! Alas, it didn't work for me: HBO Max still fails to start. Is Roku in trouble? 

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rachMiel wrote:

Thanks for the update tip! Alas, it didn't work for me: HBO Max still fails to start. Is Roku in trouble? 

Hate to sound like a Roku mouthpiece, but, in this situation, you might actually have to do a factory reset after getting the 4208-46 build. You shouldn't have to, but if it's still not working after that specific build update, then you may have no choice. 

0 Kudos