Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

@Tabitna It’s not Roku programming issues. HBO is solely responsible for their channel working on Roku devices. But the issue does seem to be device specific. It works fine on my three Ultra players, my Premiere and my Express4k+. In fact I’m traveling right now and watching Max on my Express with no issues. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
PaulW123

Jump to solution

Thank you.  This worked for me! 

0 Kudos
Letty831

Jump to solution

Removing, restarting and adding HBO max again finally worked for me. 

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Tabitna It’s not Roku programming issues. HBO is solely responsible for their channel working on Roku devices. But the issue does seem to be device specific. It works fine on my three Ultra players, my Premiere and my Express4k+. In fact I’m traveling right now and watching Max on my Express with no issues. 

It's not just HBO Max. It's happening to our other apps, like Xfinity. It's directly related to the Roku platform, as everything works fine on our Amazon Fire Stick.  And none of the suggestions and troubleshooting from the Roku employees has worked, either, so I don't understand why everyone is blaming the HBO Max app.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@scottandreggina  You can’t compare it to a different platform, as it’s a completely different operating system and programming language. It is the responsibility of the app provider to ensure their channel works with any OS updates, not Roku. Users have complained about Xfinity for years, but again it’s not Roku’s responsibility. 

Dan

0 Kudos
scottandreggina
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@scottandreggina  You can’t compare it to a different platform, as it’s a completely different operating system and programming language. It is the responsibility of the app provider to ensure their channel works with any OS updates, not Roku. 

So, when multiple apps don't work on Roku, the policy is to blame them, instead of looking at the common denominator, which is Roku, itself? Come on. 

rimuggle
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You have just literally defined why it is a roku issue (as they themselves have finally admitted to the media) and not an app issue- the fact that functionality is device determined. What are you gaining by trying to defend the corporation who has taken responsibility themselves?

atc98092

Jump to solution

But it also works for most users. Discovering the issue that isn’t systemic is difficult. Yes, it could be something in the os, it could be a hardware flaw (especially with older devices) or it could be the app. Pointing a finger at only one possibility doesn’t help, and the app programmers need to examine it from their side as well. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@rimuggle wrote:

You have just literally defined why it is a roku issue (as they themselves have finally admitted to the media) and not an app issue- the fact that functionality is device determined. What are you gaining by trying to defend the corporation who has taken responsibility themselves?

But I have some of the same devices as others reporting problems, and they work on mine. How can it be a specific device when it works on most, but not all? I agree it’s extremely difficult to troubleshoot, and it does appear that the os update triggers the issue. But that doesn’t always point to a flaw in the os, as sometimes it simply uncovers a flaw in the app. None of us users can identify the core issue. 

Dan

0 Kudos
rimuggle
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

And yet you unequivocally said 1- it’s not roku’s fault and 2- it is the apps fault (and continue to not acknowledge that both declarations were wrong despite the fact that roku has correctly expressed that it is their fault and related to the OS update on certain systems). I’m just not sure what you’re gaining by continuing to defend them against something they have admitted is their fault.