Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seadooman
Reel Rookie

Re: Why is HBO Max causing Roku to overheat?

Contact your tv manufacturer. They came out and replaced a board in the TV, resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
Deadwood1876
Reel Rookie

Same here with any 4K or UHD programming. Rewatching GOT now. 5-7 mins in and overheating.  Contacted support and got no help.  

watching on fire Tv now instead.  Too bad, I liked the Roku interface. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Deadwood1876

Thanks for the post.

For more information about your Roku device overheating, visit our Support page here: Fix an overheating issue

Pleas keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TheChuckB
Reel Rookie

Re: WW84 using HBO Max causes Roku to overheat

GoT is currently overheating my 55" TCL Roku tv. Like others, only HBO Max. Set is in a cool, air conditioned room with a fan blowing at it. Back of the set is warm in the lower middle, but not hot to the touch. Pausing the show seems to also pause the overheating. 

I'd like to know if high resolution is to blame, but don't know where to find that for eat show.

0 Kudos
Deadwood1876
Reel Rookie

My issue with it was a Roku stick. I have temporary early resolve the problem by adding heat sinks to each side of the stick. Not something that Roku suggested, but it seems to work.

I will say that shows what you’re watching on HBO max in 4K or UHD seem to caused the problem. When I downgraded to 1080 P I did not seem to have the issue. Don’t know if that’ll help with your TV or not, that’s where I’m at with my problem.

I still have an open ticket with Roku, after spending multiple time on the support line with them, they told me they would let me know when I figured out the answer.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I'm half way through watching House of Dragons on my Ultra 4800. This is playing in 4K/Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I just touched the Roku case, and it's barely warm. No screen messages about overheating.

If a Roku TV is overheating, then it's likely a hardware issue. For that, you need to contact the manufacturer of your TV. Roku does not build the TVs, only licenses the operating system to other makers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
brykeller
Channel Surfer

I’m the original poster of this thread. I’ve found that it is isolated to the HBO app on Roku and it seems to happen with GoT content. I actually dismiss/ignore the overheat warning I think it is bogus. I really don’t know why it is happening. Maybe the Roku saw season 7/8 OG GoT and is trying to spare me the heartache lol! Happy watching. 

0 Kudos
LCLOWEJD
Reel Rookie

I think many posters to this thread have had issues with HBO Max 4K content streaming on their Roku sticks (including me), and to my knowledge, this is still an unresolved (but replicable) issue. You don't state what Roku device you are using, but I'm guessing from you saying you "touched the case" that you are not using a Roku stick.

I agree that, if a Roku TV user was experiencing overheating, that could be the same issue or something completely different. But the issue that most of the posters are discussing is overheating of a Roku stick ONLY when playing 4K content from HBO Max.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@LCLOWEJD wrote:

I think many posters to this thread have had issues with HBO Max 4K content streaming on their Roku sticks (including me), and to my knowledge, this is still an unresolved (but replicable) issue. You don't state what Roku device you are using, but I'm guessing from you saying you "touched the case" that you are not using a Roku stick.

If you were responding to me, I did state I was using an Ultra 4800, not a Stick. But it's certainly possible to touch the case of a Stick while it's in use as well.

Yes, most users have reported the issue when using a Roku Stick. But there has been reports of other players also reporting the overheat condition. While my 4800 is the top end model, it was also displaying in 4K Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos audio, so it was being stressed as far as possible. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Cajungene
Reel Rookie

Same issue here.  My Roku stick only overheats on HBO Max.  Issue is with Game of Thrones and House of Dragons.  Looking at this thread this has been a known Roku issue for over a year.  My daughter has the same TV that I have. (Samsung) and has no issues with her Fire Stick.  Is Roku going to fix this or offer a work around?  The world wants to know!!

Environment/Background

Roku Streaming Stick +

Samsung 4K HD TV

Wall Mount with over 5 inch clearance where stick is mounted.

Air conditioned environment, portable thermometer shows ambient temp near the Roku stick is 73F

Temp warning only happens with HBO Max