Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoHawks
Streaming Star

Why is AccuRadio gone ? Will it be back ?

Why has AccuRadio been removed ? Does anyone know what is up with Roku and the AccuRadio removal ? Will it be coming back ? It is the absolute best hands down radio station and I listen to it on a near daily basis. This is very frustrating.

So far I can find zero information on this anywhere.

22 REPLIES 22
Tanny
Channel Surfer

Re: Why is AccuRadio gone ? Will it be back ?

I have the same question.   I also can find no explanation anywhere.  I have an email in to AccuRadio, perhaps they will explain?

For our taste and usage AccuRadio is simply the best channel on Roku.   Roku is greatly diminished if AccuRadio is gone for good.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I first checked the Roku channel store, and found the channel has been removed. I then went to the AccuRadio web site, and noticed they only list apps for the following devices:  Alexa,  iPhone/iPad,  Android,  and Sonos. It appears they have removed support for Roku devices. There's nothing Roku can do if a provider decides to remove their app/channel from availability. You would need to contact AccuRadio and ask them why they dropped Roku support. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
GoHawks
Streaming Star

I just checked the AccuRadio site (again) and it (Roku) is still listed under "Devices we currently support"

atc98092

@GoHawks wrote:

I just checked the AccuRadio site (again) and it (Roku) is still listed under "Devices we currently support"

Yeah, but the link doesn't bring up the channel in the Roku channel store. It looks to me that they've dropped Roku support and haven't yet updated their web site.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Boz
Roku Guru

As I understand it, AccuRadio was removed because it was using an SDK that has been deprecated since 2017, and is not compatible with the 11.5 update.  I'd guess it could return if this issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
martelp

AccuRadio was the only app I used on Roku.

AvsGunnar

Hopefully will return as it was a good channel.

Noticing a few different channels removing themselves.  Wondering if providers just trying to consolidate and save expenses or if is getting difficult to maintain all the different platforms.

Although it is sometimes hard to replace a favorite channel, you can try looking at MyTuner for Roku. This is my other go-to.  https://channelstore.roku.com/search/mytuner

You can search the genres (ie. hair metal, jazz, oldies, etc) from the Search to find the station.  Plus can listen to any station around the world.

Will have to use Shazam if you want to know artist, song, etc. as these are radio stations so doesn't display the metadata like Accuradio.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Tanny
Channel Surfer

Here's the reply I received from AccuRadio on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/accuradio/posts/818366241515005

Hey Phil, unfortunately our app was out of date and was indeed pulled from Roku. Due to updates on their end, we will need to rebuild our app from the ground up, and we currently don't have a timeline as to when we might know more. Sorry. We're always available online and in our apps!

Tanny
Channel Surfer

This may help...

We can still get AccuRadio on their website.  You may be able to mirror their website from your computer to your Roku.  

I'm going to try this because our Roku box is connected to speakers all over our house.   I may even buy a cheap used laptop on eBay and set it up exclusively for this purpose. 

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone uses any music streaming service other than AccuRadio.  It's free, has countless human created playlists which are far superior to algo generated lists, and their app on Roku worked better than any of the other music streaming apps we tried.   

If Roku was smart, they would code a new app for AccuRadio so they can keep it as part of their service.