Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YWD

Why doesn't Roku have an Internet browser

Was doesn't Roku have an internet browsing app like Amazon Silk on the Fire Stick or Google?

8 REPLIES 8
cbarbagallo
Streaming Star

Re: Why doesn't Roku have an Internet browser

This +10000000000000000

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It's never going to happen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Even if it did happen, aftermarketers might supply keyboards for Roku devices.  But it’s probably never happening at all.  There might be some used Sony PS3s with an internet browser on it, but I don’t know how slow the internet browser is on the PS3 consoles, ‘cause I don’t happen to own one, though the PS3’s latest software update was May 10th of this year.  I don’t even recall if there were any Sony Blu-ray players with an internet browser. 
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@YWD wrote:

Was doesn't Roku have an internet browsing app like Amazon Silk on the Fire Stick or Google?

There have been browsers. There are browsers. They don't work well. Here is an example:

Safari for Roku

See what I mean?

If someone built a browser for Roku that worked well, it would probably get dozens of users.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Michelle3
Roku Guru

@DBDukes wrote:

@YWD wrote:

There have been browsers. There are browsers. They don't work well. Here is an example:

Safari for Roku

See what I mean?

If someone built a browser for Roku that worked well, it would probably get dozens of users.

It turns out Adrian developed the Safari browser for Roku devices instead of Apple Inc.  

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
atc98092

Using a web browser on any device that doesn't offer a physical keyboard and pointing device is an exercise in frustration. I have a browser in an older Samsung TV, and I've used it once. That was all I needed to know I never want to use it again. Using an on-screen keyboard is maddening, and web pages are designed with the expectation the user has some sort of pointing device (mouse, trackball, etc.). And my Samsung even has a basic pointer built into the remote. Still a worthless effort.

Media streamers are not web browsing devices, period. Especially when you consider that today's web pages are littered with all sorts of animated ads and other attention grabbers. Even the most powerful Roku would struggle displaying a modern web page without bogging down. 

Yes, there's likely some web streaming sites that can only be viewed using a browser. That's where I suggest using screen mirroring from a phone, tablet or laptop. In the end, you'll be far more satisfied with the end result.

Search the web for a browser for Roku and you'll likely find a lot of sites that say you can do it. Virtually all of them ends up telling you to screen mirror. There is no functional web browser for Roku devices. Yes, there's a Safari Browser listed in the Roku channel store. I'll give it a try, but I seriously doubts it actually works.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

I’ve tried the Safari app for my Roku earlier, and I don’t recommend it at all.

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

Using a web browser on any device that doesn't offer a physical keyboard and pointing device is an exercise in frustration.

Sometimes. I connect a Fire Stick Lite to my Roku TV just to access the Silk browser, and I'm usually not frustrated because I have the sites I want on a Favorites menu. I'd prefer a built-in Roku browser, though, just to avoid the extra hardware and the extra remote.

0 Kudos