Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kazooee
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

I can't even browse without being kicked out so the preview issue isn't my problem. Thanks for the info though.

0 Kudos
MartyLA
Level 8

Jump to solution

Brilliant, @JSpoon129. Thank you!!!!

0 Kudos
phytotech
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just to let you know, I tried this and it did not work for my issue: start special movie, preview plays, then HBOMax app freezes then either goes back to the start screen or sometimes I lose the video altogether. Never get to see the movie unless it does not have a preview, then it seems to work. But, that is only for a few samples so far. 

0 Kudos
jmmckdmd16
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is the solution email I received from HBOMAX support. It is helpful to a degree... see below.

Thank you for trying HBO Max and we appreciate your recent contact about your Roku.

We've gathered your experience on this issue, and it continues to be tracked for this particular model.

As a note that may be helpful, you can directly reach any show on HBO Max, by doing a search at the Roku main home screen. Type the title name of any show as a workaround.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please note that our engineering team has been actively investigating a resolution.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out to us. You can... call us at 855-9-HBOMAX (855-442-6629). 

0 Kudos
Forsaken
Level 8

Re: HBO Max app crashes when playing certain content

Jump to solution

I just bought a Hisense 50” Roku TV this week and after loading HBO Max onto it, I’ve begun experiencing this same problem. I can scroll through and browse, SLOWLY, it’s like there is a major lag. When I start watching a movie and try to adjust the volume, there is about a 5 second delay between the button press and the TV responding, and if I adjust the volume to much or try to FFW, RWD, or INSTANT REPLAY, the app crashes back to the Roku Home Screen. This ONLY happens on the HBO Max app. I’ve tried lowering the quality of the stream thinking maybe the TV couldn’t keep up, but that doesn’t even help. And I know it isn’t my internet connection cuz I have gigabit connectivity that I checked while streaming and while streaming 4K UHD video, (plus streaming on approx 8 other devices in the household) I still hit speeds (get readings) of 486MBits/Sec. So I know that’s not the issue neither. It has to be this app. Plus, I don’t have this issue streaming 4K UHD on YouTube or any other app. Hopefully HBO pulls their heads out of their asses and fixes this issue. I hope everybody else’s problems have resolved by now. 

0 Kudos
Nsputnik1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Today, May 18th, 2021 in just a few hours there will be an industry discussion panel with reps from both Roku and HBO Max. For one hour I need everyone to tweet at them while the talk is going on to bring awareness to this issue. 10am EST/7am PST. https://twitter.com/maria_aguete/status/1390228264854110209?s=21

0 Kudos
Nsputnik1
Level 8

Jump to solution

https://twitter.com/nsputnik/status/1394661290136588290?s=21

Here is a video demonstrating the issue. Deleting, reinstalling and rebooting does not work. 

DimeTVView
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for bubbling this up. I tweeted. HBO Max "escalated" it and asked me to restart with no follow-up. Roku is of no help either. If my Roku auto updates which will break it again I guess i'll just have to dump it completely and get a device that works.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You're free to use any device you wish, but you're blaming Roku for something not under their control. HBO is solely responsible for their channel on Roku devices. I have the Ultra 4800, which is of course their latest and greatest player. But HBO Max still has some issues. I tried to watch Justice League yesterday, and it simply would not start playback. My screen would show Dolby Vision enabled, then it would just drop back to the Max main screen. But I was able to watch Wonder Woman for about an hour without a problem. 

The problem is HBO, not Roku. I have issues with Max on an Nvidia Shield as well, so changing devices may not make a difference. It seems that HBO developed their channel for only the highest end of the Roku players (Premiere and Ultra), but won't be honest with users and state that any Roku can be used. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DimeTVView
Level 9

Jump to solution

It's also a Roku issue. I was fine until they updated the system software automatically to version 10. Don't you think Roku should have at least tested or verified this app with so many paid users would work? They should work together.