Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DimeTVView
Level 9

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

All of a sudden today for the first time, I cannot watch any content on HBO Max. I don't expect it to be resolved by HBO or Roku. All other devices work. Perhaps time to just buy another Google TV...

0 Kudos
jmmckdmd16
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

I use two of the Roku 2710X for HBOMAX

Tried to uninstall, then reinstall app - did not work. Tried signing out devices - worked for a day or two. I always have issues with the screen loading. The app will open and give me a black screen with the menu on the side. Afterwards, it will go back to the roku home. I've watch hbomax on the roku about 10 or fewer times since I added it, all due to crashing.

0 Kudos
JSpoon129
Level 8

Jump to solution

The same story with me. The ONLY thing that's worked for me is to search for the title of what I want to watch  in Roku Search in the main menu. Select the title in "HBOMax" and you'll be directed to enter ID and password then the movie plays. After the first time, now the movie starts to play without my entering my ID and password. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@jmmckdmd16

Thanks for the post.

When removing a channel, did you make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back again?

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to HBO Max directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the HBO Max channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
kazooee
Level 7

Jump to solution

Last post regarding problems with HBO Max appears to be one week ago. I have also done all of the things Roku is recommending to no avail. I am just about ready to cancel my HBO Max and if I do I will also cancel my Roku account. HBO Max is the only content I use Roku for.

Is anything being done to correct this problem? I can get into the HBO channel but as soon as I try to select anything I'm kicked out back to the Roku home screen. I used to be able to get it to work sometimes but now it won't work at all.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@kazooee What model Roku device are you using? Model number please, not just the name.

I use HBO Max without an issue with my Ultra 4800. In fact, it works better than the Nvidia Shield players I also have, and those are more powerful players. I have had the playback failure on the Shields, but the Ultra has always been very reliable. This includes HD and 4K titles, including Dolby Vision and Atmos tracks. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
kazooee
Level 7

Jump to solution

I think it's the 1080P, purchased new Xmas before last.

0 Kudos
JSpoon129
Level 8

Jump to solution

The ONLY thing that's worked for me is to search for the title of what I want to watch  in Roku Search in the main menu. Select the title in "HBOMax" and you'll be directed to enter ID and password then the movie plays. Now the movie starts to play without my re-entering my ID and password. NONE OF ALL THAT UNINSTALL REINSTALL DELETE ADD DELETE LOG OFF AND LOG BACK ON OFF ON OFF **bleep** DOES NOT WORK!

phytotech
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just to let you know, that I am having the same issue. I have Roku Ultra 4800. Supposedly this issue has been elevated to the HBOMax Specialized Support Team. I am actually on the phone right now with HBOMax trying to get a status update on this issue. What I found was that if the special movie (all regular shows play just fine) has a preview, then this issue comes up. If no preview, then this crashing is not an issue. Per phone conversation, the team is still working on issue, especially the apparent preview connection. They will be sending a more detailed status update directly to me. I suggested that they might want to test add a "no preview" feature setting to see if that corrects. Will post any resolution to the community.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@kazooee wrote:

I think it's the 1080P, purchased new Xmas before last.

That's not a model number Smiley Wink

Look under Settings/System/About for the model number. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos