Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan314
Level 8

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

@Jmed wrote:

@JWnola wrote:

Jmed - Then try this: go to Roku search and search an hbo Max show or movie and click on it. It should play and then hit back button and go ONLY to search option to find content. NOT home or browse or it’ll boot you off. (It will ask you who’s watching but will go directly to movie or show after that rather than the Home Screen. Avoid the Home Screen!

has worked every time for me. Sorry I answered this so much later!

It worked!!!!! Thank you so much, @JWnola! Is it ok if I copy your solution and send it to hbo max tech support in an email? This might help them isolate the problem in the code. Also, what kind of roku device are you using? Any data I can provide hbo max could help. Thank you again! Kudos!

Have you already been able to get to an HBOMax sign-in page to get this search workaround to work? I get booted before I am able to even sign in.

Sws
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, it worked!  A great fix.  Many thanks for the support of this community and to jmed who found a workaround.  Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Jmed
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Dan314 

Yes, I was able to log in. On Thursday, after logging out of hbo on all devices, deleting hbo max channel from roku, restarting roku, re-adding hbo max channel, I was able to get to the hbo max home page and select a show and hit play. That gets you to the sign on option. It’s worth a try, if you are signed in already on the old hbo on roku. And if you haven’t already, please post your roku device type so hbo max and roku support teams can see which devices are affected. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Jmed
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Sws wrote:

Yes, it worked!  A great fix.  Many thanks for the support of this community and to jmed who found a workaround.  Enjoy!

No, no, no - @JWnola found the workaround - thanks to that user only!

0 Kudos
Jameyp
Level 7

Jump to solution

The asterisk menu does not have a 'remove channel' option...but only for HBO Max. I can remove any other channel including the Roku channel itself, but it seems as though within 24 hours of beginning my trial, HBO has managed to embed itself and is now one with my TV. 

0 Kudos
Dan314
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have done all of that ...I have tried all the recommendations. I deleted and added the app multiple times. I restarted the Roku system multiple times. I updated the Roku system. I accessed HBO Max on my computer and logged out of all devices. I even logged out of Xfinity and rebooted my wifi. I am not able to get to a login page. HBO Max boots me before that app is done loading.

I have a Roku stick 3500X. Software is 9.4.0. Stuck is plugged into TV. Cord is plugged into power strip. 

0 Kudos
Sws
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you Jwnola for figuring out the workaround.  I appreciate it.

FortWorthTexas
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I click on HBO Max app and it opens, I select who is watching, and it welcomes me, goes to the HBO Max home screen and closes back to the Roku home screen. Every once in awhile, I can watch something without this happening. Hope this detail helps Roku and HBO to resolve the bug. 

0 Kudos
FortWorthTexas
Level 8

Jump to solution

Also, the recommended fix I saw in this discussion suggested: to use the * and select remove channel, restart Roku, reinstall HBO Max app.

That will not work because as of 12/20/20, the option to remove HBO Max app by pressing the * is not an option. The only options are: 1) my rating; 2) move channel; 3) manage subscription; 4) check for updates; 5) give us feedback; and 6) close. 

I ran option 4 and no updates were found.

Hope this helps Roku technical support to resolve. 

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

0 Kudos
JimmyCra
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have three older ROKUs. 
3500x - ROKU stick . Software 9.4.0 build 4200-09

3050x ROKU 2 XD. 9.1.0 build 5006-02

The 3rd is currently at another location and I’ve been unable to check.

Let me say I’ve always loved my ROKUs and up till recently think they are amongst the best investments I’ve ever made.

Also let me say from the outset that NONE of the three have PEACOCK available even in the channel store, so I was feared that like with PEACOCK, HBO Max might not be available on my older ROKUs.  But the PEACOCK situation was widely recognized, discussed and transparent.  The HBO Max problem seems to be completely unexpected and unaddressed by the companies.

The stick has the same/similar problems with HBO Max as most of you have spoken about.  I was able to install/update  the App from the old HBO.  It recognizes my name and asks “Who’s Watching”. The screen Starts to load and then bounces out to the ROKU home screen.  I have tried about two or three dozen times.  I have been able to watch one movie ( Hard Days Night) and start one episode of Big Bang Theory. I didn’t bother to watch the whole episode —- just checking that it worked.  I’ve tried that work around that was suggested twice.  It worked the first time. Not the second.

As to the 2 XD —- While HBO Max is in the channel store .  I get an install error when I try to install it. To be fair I get the same error trying to install the Pelaton station .  And I was unable to update or install the regular HBO station when they did away with the HBO - Go a few months ago.

Im using my Verizon Fios cable account and have their internet service.

0 Kudos