Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wsanders1
Level 8

Re: Amazon Prime buffering

Jump to solution

Yep, a problem with Prime Video only. 

0 Kudos
alexz
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku is the problem.  Prime works just fine when watched through samsung smart tv.  Insert roku in the mis and the buffering is intolerable.

padthai2go
Level 9

Jump to solution

ugh so the fire stick doesn't help even through it's from the same company? i was hoping it was just a roku thing. @asharples 

0 Kudos
asharples
Level 7

Jump to solution

I did try lowering the resolution on my T.V as suggested by another poster. It seems to help. 

listen2dps
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue with PRIME only on the express. In the same house though, my TCL tv with ROKU streams PRIME perfectly. So, it appears to be some firmware issue between PRIME and ROKU. Changing the resolution does not help with my express. 

padthai2go
Level 9

Jump to solution

After a lot of troubleshooting with all the companies, I determined that my buffering was the combo of the eero WiFi router and the arris SB6183 cable modem. I switched to the Arris SB8200 cable modem and no longer have issues with buffering of YouTube TV or prime video. 

0 Kudos
AJ_42
Level 8

Jump to solution

Is everyone sure that Amazon is not doing this on purpose to Roku devices?   We have switched to watching Prime on an ancient Chromecast (which displays fine) because the quality on roku is so bad. All other channels on the roku are great.

0 Kudos
wsanders1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Considering Amazon's penchant for evil, my guess is that they are going to tell you to buy a firestick, assuming you can get hold of anyone. Over the last few months, the Prime app fail has evolved from constant buffering to, about 50% of the time, buffering at the start of a program and then playing the rest with the sound out of sync. Sometimes, pausing the video for 20 secs or so will fix this, sometimes it's bad enough we have to just watch some other time. Again, only the Amazon Prime app has his problem. So it's gone from 90% unusable to about 50% mostly-usable.

0 Kudos
ispyce
Level 8

Re: Amazon Prime buffering (Fixed it)

Jump to solution

@MrDanO wrote:

Can't believe it was as simple as setting the Roku display resolution to match my TV. Roku was set for 1080p and my TV is only 720p. Ever since I changed it the only buffering I've seen over 5 -6 days (2-3 movies, many episodes of same shows I had issues with) is at the very beginning of a video. Which is usually during the preview that Prime queues up. Absolutely no buffering beyond that and no audio-video out of sync.

Hope it's this easy for the rest of you.

I know this was made months ago but I would just like to say THANK YOU so much! I have been struggling for at least a year with unwatchable content on Amazon- no issues with other channels. I tried everything suggested- contact support, make sure all software is updated, channel updated, reset modem/router, called Charter (Spectrum), reached out on here, checked TV desiplay settings, contacted Amazon support... nothing. I never once thought to check the display settings in my Roku settings. I switched from 1080p to 720p.

I have now been watching for over two hours with no issue whatsoever. There's usually buffering every few minutes and audio/video is almost always out of sync. But now the playback is smooth and perfect.

So ifanybody is struggling with choppy, unwatchable content- check your display settings on you Roku. Select a lower resolution and restart your Roku. Hopefully this helps somebody else and thank you again for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
LizardBoy
Level 8

Jump to solution

Since this is a Roku forum, Roku should pay attention, because I'm about to buy a competitor's product.  The subject problem of this thread is costing you business.  Many other current Roku users might be forced to make the same choice I must make now, but they just aren't as vocal about it.

It's pretty clear at this point that the Amazon app on Roku has serious problems.  I've been living with it grudgingly for at least a year, but now I've had it.  Roku says it's Amazon's fault.  Amazon says it's Roku's fault.  I say I want to watch TV without pauses and out-of-sync audio.   Regardless of whose fault it is, I must choose now between a Roku device and an Amazon subscription.  I recently started a one-year Amazon Prime membership.  That narrows down my choices to one, which makes it a requirement.

I'm going with Chromecast I think.  I won't buy a Firestick, because I don't want to buy Amazon's streaming device, in case they are knowingly responsible for this problem on Roku, and are deliberately not fixing it to persuade Roku customers to use Amazon's device instead.