Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Why did Roku change the way screen saver works?

Jump to solution

As far as I know the Screensavers are all developed independently.

Nor by Roku nor endorsed by them. Thats the pitfall of "Open" development.

I'm happy with the Default Aquarium I got for free.

I've had no such problems.

Its the same as Downloading everything on the Net especially with Windows.

Asking for trouble.....virus's, Malware, Trojans.......

On the other hand downloading a Channel aint so bad.

I have several I never watch..................

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Smizles
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Why is this marked as "solved" when both the Play and OK buttons take you to a random channel or try to add a new one? The only way I've had any success resuming from the screensaver is by pressing the Up Arrow, which is completely counterintuitive & unreliable lately. Does anyone know if this has been officially reported as a bug? It has been happening for over a year across my Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series) , # 7111X Roku TV, and older Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  & Roku Express+ (3710 series)  units. Super annoying this hasn't been fixed yet! 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The question owner can indicate when his question is solved.  For many of us, using a screen saver without ads is a perfectly acceptable solution.  Turning the screen saver off is another method, and learning which buttons to press is another one.  I use the included digital clock screen saver. (No ads.)

0 Kudos
JSAND
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

OK button works fine it’s the >|| button that opens ROKU channel that sucks.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JSAND,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help. In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JSAND
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Open YouTube TV

Start a show and pause using OK or >||

Wait for screen saver (default) to open

Press >|| 

Instead of show resuming the ROKU  channel opens which requires returning to home, reopening YouTube TV, and selecting show to resume.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JSAND, NEVER press Play/Pause to dismiss the screensaver unless you want to interact with whatever ad is floating across the screen.  When the screensaver is active, the first button pressed is ignored unless it's Play/Pause which will take you to the advertised item.  I know it's intuitive to press Play to resume your video, but get out of that habit.  You can also disable the screensaver or use one that doesn't have advertisements.  This is a very old issue and it's not about to change.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PearsonFlyer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's not "a very old issue". It started at the beginning of June when Roku changed their requirements and standards for screensaver behavior for channel creators.

It's an extremely stupid decision. When you pause something, why WOULDN'T you use the play button to resume it? Of course you would. Instead, you get a download of whatever channel was being presented to you.

The responses here from "community streaming experts" seem to be from people who have never streamed anything on Roku ever, and have no idea about how the behavior used to be versus how it is now, and why we might be angry that it's so clunky and different now, and ruining the experience of using Roku.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@PearsonFlyer, all I'm going to say is you're wrong.  The ads in screensavers have been around for years as have the complaints about unwanted actions when Play/Pause is pressed.  You may just not have been using a screensaver with them or the channel/app had a private screensaver, all of which have been eliminated (I have no idea why).  I already said that it's intuitive to press Play to resume your video, but that first press doesn't do anything, so pressing Play doesn't resume the video anyway.  The "solution" has been posted many, many times.  Don't expect Roku to bring back private screensavers to fix this "problem".  When it comes to Roku, you either adapt with their changes (the reason behind many of which are hard to comprehend) or move to a different platform.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PearsonFlyer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree, which is why I'll be moving to a different platform. Which sucks because I have several Roku devices in my home, but not for long.

0 Kudos