Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Level 11

Why can't I watch Netflix on my old Roku?

"If you have an old Roku device plugged into your TV, you probably won’t be able to watch Netflix on it anymore. The company, which specializes in making cheap streaming devices to watch streaming networks like Netflix, Hulu and CBS All Access, has announced that “technical difficulties,” will prevent the old units from working with Netflix as of Dec. 1."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/10/19/why-netflix-disney-and-apple-tv-wont-work...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Why can't I watch Netflix on my old Roku?

@andyross wrote:

"If you have an old Roku device plugged into your TV, you probably won’t be able to watch Netflix on it anymore. The company, which specializes in making cheap streaming devices to watch streaming networks like Netflix, Hulu and CBS All Access, has announced that “technical difficulties,” will prevent the old units from working with Netflix as of Dec. 1."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/10/19/why-netflix-disney-and-apple-tv-wont-work...

What model Roku do you have? The older devices are considered legacy and no longer supported by Roku nor the channel developers. Roku required all developers to switch to a new development language several years ago, and the deadline to support the old language is most likely the date they gave you. The older boxes simply don't have the necessary hardware to work with the latest and greatest channels. Unfortunately, all you can do is buy a new device. That could be a new Roku, or perhaps a Fire TV box, or something else. That decision is yours. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

Re: Why can't I watch Netflix on my old Roku?

This doesn't affect me. It's just a quote and link to a story I found.