Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stan_Lee
Reel Rookie

Why can’t I find msnbc or tvland on the channel store?

Jump to solution

MSNBC at least has to be available using roku (express)? Does it come with nbc?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why can’t I find msnbc or tvland on the channel store?

Jump to solution

@Stan_Lee 

As explained, many channels -- not all, but the ones you listed, and several others -- are only available streaming via a subscription online streaming service. News channels such as MSNBC are usually only available via one of the major subscription live streaming services. TVLand is one of the entertainment channels that is available that same way.

What it will probably come down to is what it is you're after. There are free NBC News options, but they won't carry the opinion shows for which many watch MSNBC. If you want just content categorized as news, then Peacock carries NBC News content.

TVLand type of content, shows considered Classic TV, are available via a variety of online services and apps, but not always specifically the very shows that TVLand offers. Pluto TV, Tubi, Xumo, Roku Channel, and many others carry that type of content. This is true for various types of content, not just Classic TV.

If you want the cable experience without the expense of cable (note that I did not say free; that won't happen) then a subscription live streaming service will be an option.

Frndly.TV ($7-11/month) - Family friendly TV channels; no news, sports, or locals. Recently added MeTV, which carries some of the same daytime content as TVLand.

Philo ($25/month) - Entertainment channels; no news, sports, or locals.

Sling TV ($35-50/month; add-ons available) - Entertainment, news, sports. No locals in most locations.

Vidgo ($55/month) - Entertainment, news, sports, some locals.

Fubo TV ($65/month) - Essentially online cable.

YouTube TV ($65/month) - Essentially online cable.

Hulu+Live TV ($70/month) - Essentially online cable. Includes Disney Bundle.

DirecTV Stream ($70/month up) - Essentially online cable. Higher plans include RSNs.

If you have an antenna, or can put one up cheaply, you can get local content, meaning you can get most cable shows for the lower end subscription live streaming services, depending on what you want.

Your total cost will depend on your flexibility and adaptability. For example, my mother used to watch Game Show Network a lot when she had cable. She loved in particular the older shows. When she found that Buzzr carried that type of content, and was available on Pluto TV and other free services, that was her final holdout from dropping cable. She didn't get to see the exact same shows that GSN carried, but was happy with what Buzzr offered. They actually carried more of that type, so it was better for her. When she found out that Frndly.TV also carried GSN, she considered subscribing, but never did. She was happy with the free offerings.

That's not to say you will find everything you want without a subscription, but it is to say some content of that type is available. Whether or not it's enough depends on your own personal taste and preferences.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Those are network stations only available if you use a live tv streaming service. They aren’t available as a stand alone streaming channel. If you want those channels you need to subscribe to something like YouTube TV. Do you currently have cable TV or satellite?

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Stan_Lee 

As explained, many channels -- not all, but the ones you listed, and several others -- are only available streaming via a subscription online streaming service. News channels such as MSNBC are usually only available via one of the major subscription live streaming services. TVLand is one of the entertainment channels that is available that same way.

What it will probably come down to is what it is you're after. There are free NBC News options, but they won't carry the opinion shows for which many watch MSNBC. If you want just content categorized as news, then Peacock carries NBC News content.

TVLand type of content, shows considered Classic TV, are available via a variety of online services and apps, but not always specifically the very shows that TVLand offers. Pluto TV, Tubi, Xumo, Roku Channel, and many others carry that type of content. This is true for various types of content, not just Classic TV.

If you want the cable experience without the expense of cable (note that I did not say free; that won't happen) then a subscription live streaming service will be an option.

Frndly.TV ($7-11/month) - Family friendly TV channels; no news, sports, or locals. Recently added MeTV, which carries some of the same daytime content as TVLand.

Philo ($25/month) - Entertainment channels; no news, sports, or locals.

Sling TV ($35-50/month; add-ons available) - Entertainment, news, sports. No locals in most locations.

Vidgo ($55/month) - Entertainment, news, sports, some locals.

Fubo TV ($65/month) - Essentially online cable.

YouTube TV ($65/month) - Essentially online cable.

Hulu+Live TV ($70/month) - Essentially online cable. Includes Disney Bundle.

DirecTV Stream ($70/month up) - Essentially online cable. Higher plans include RSNs.

If you have an antenna, or can put one up cheaply, you can get local content, meaning you can get most cable shows for the lower end subscription live streaming services, depending on what you want.

Your total cost will depend on your flexibility and adaptability. For example, my mother used to watch Game Show Network a lot when she had cable. She loved in particular the older shows. When she found that Buzzr carried that type of content, and was available on Pluto TV and other free services, that was her final holdout from dropping cable. She didn't get to see the exact same shows that GSN carried, but was happy with what Buzzr offered. They actually carried more of that type, so it was better for her. When she found out that Frndly.TV also carried GSN, she considered subscribing, but never did. She was happy with the free offerings.

That's not to say you will find everything you want without a subscription, but it is to say some content of that type is available. Whether or not it's enough depends on your own personal taste and preferences.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."