Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christina3
Level 8

Why aren't channels shown in HD quality when I have a 4K TV?

Jump to solution

Over the years I've attempted to buy Roku devices, only to return them because of the picture quality, and for me the true test is when I watch a channel I know is in HD and how crisp it should look. I'm always disappointed because my go-to test is the QVC channel. Through my cable provider it is very crisp, HD quality and I have a Samsung 4K TV. I thought I would try again since it has been many years, and just bought the Roku Streaming Sound Bar which goes up to 4K. I thought maybe now I will get true HD quality. Nope. Connected everything and the Roku automatically upscaled to my 4K TV and Roku's menus are great and very crisp but as soon as I added the QVC/HSN channel to view, it is not even HD quality and very pixelated. I then tried Roku Live TV channels and went to the Hallmark channel and same thing. Very muted picture quality that was not in HD and I'm like...why? Why isn't there HD quality when you are viewing regular channels like that. I didn't even test anything else because it defeats the purpose of me even having a Roku device so that I can cut cable. I can't deal with low quality pictures. I'm very versed on how my TV works and the settings and what not and my TV settings are fine and the Roku settings also seemed fine. I went and returned it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Christina3
Level 8

Re: Why aren't channels shown in HD quality when I have a 4K TV?

Jump to solution

I don't have a habit of buying and returning these for the record. IT was twice over the period of probably 7 years, so if that's a habit then so be it. It is the QVC/HSN app that you add to your channels. If you have them on regular cable and then compare to what Roku offers, it is night and day. It is not the only channel I checked. Like I said I checked the Roku Live Channel app and whatever I would click on whether it was MTV or HGTV or the Hallmark Channel, they were all the same. Less than HD quality that I get from my local cable provider. I'll stop the conversation then as you're right it's pointless since I did return it, but I guess I really want Roku and hope that one day it's the same quality as my local cable provider. Thought I could possibly get some insite here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DBDukes
Level 16

Jump to solution

If the source isn't HD, then it doesn't matter what your Roku or TV will support. How are you watching QVC? Is there an app? Is it through another app such as The Roku Channel?

What is your ISP data speed?

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
Christina3
Level 8

Jump to solution

My source is HD and I have no issues with getting HD and 4K. My internet is through Xfinity at 100mbps which is how I watch it now along with every other show that is in HD. This has happened like I said over many Roku devices, and over many years and it's always the same issue, so to me the only thing in common is the Roku device. 

0 Kudos
Christina3
Level 8

Jump to solution

Source meaning the HDMI cable I meant to say.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

Jump to solution

The source is going to be whatever server is sending the content you're accessing through whatever app you're using. That's why I asked. Don't know why you wouldn't answer. Perhaps someone else will come along that you'll cooperate with.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
Strega
Level 14

Jump to solution

I don't ever recall seeing that channel mentioned, and searching for it didn't turn up much info.  As such, I have no idea whether it is a high-quality channel, and whether it has quality settings.  (Many do since many people have bandwidth constraints.) I guess there's not much point in further diagnosis since you already returned it, but since you seem to have a habit of buying and returning them, you might want to check some other channels next time.  Also, since pixelation is usually a network issue, check your actual internet performance on the Roku (especially if you are using wi-fi.) 

0 Kudos
Christina3
Level 8

Jump to solution

I don't have a habit of buying and returning these for the record. IT was twice over the period of probably 7 years, so if that's a habit then so be it. It is the QVC/HSN app that you add to your channels. If you have them on regular cable and then compare to what Roku offers, it is night and day. It is not the only channel I checked. Like I said I checked the Roku Live Channel app and whatever I would click on whether it was MTV or HGTV or the Hallmark Channel, they were all the same. Less than HD quality that I get from my local cable provider. I'll stop the conversation then as you're right it's pointless since I did return it, but I guess I really want Roku and hope that one day it's the same quality as my local cable provider. Thought I could possibly get some insite here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Christina3
Level 8

Jump to solution

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. My gosh. Sorry I'm so uncooperative. 

0 Kudos
AdaBeta27
Level 9

Jump to solution

OTA channels *are* all in higher HD than anything that's pushed over cable.  PBS OTA here, for example, is a much sharper picture than I get from either the Roku Spectrum app, OR the cable box from Spectrum.  My guess is your cable system is overloaded or it's inadequate for the number of subscribers currently streaming on it, unless you know that your ISP uses fiber.  Bandwidth problems with your cable system, in other words.   Roku channels on my TVs often start out fuzzy and pixilated but they correct themselves later.  I suppose if your Roku uses home wifi, your problem could also be weak signal strength or a throughput issue with your router.

0 Kudos