Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are so many commercials in Spanish

Spanish commercials in Maine ?? why not Chinese, French, German, Russian, Italian, and all the other nationalities in this country. Could it be that they all speak English since this is America?

21 REPLIES 21
D3nver

Re: Why are so many commercials in Spanish

Because they are only in Spanish and not other languages they should not be advertised on English version Roku it is very disturbing in the enjoyment to the service.

andyross
Roku Guru

What channel/app is this happening on?

Tags (1)
Eman4277
Channel Surfer

If free companies decide to market their product in spanish, it's because they have found it financially advantageous to do so. 

It is upsetting to me that I'm seeing so many Spanish commercials on ROKU.  We live in an English speaking country and If those who speak Spanish don't like it they should learn English.  We would not expect other countries to have to speak English to us if we went to their country.  This is getting totally out of hand.  I might just get rid of my ROKU tv.

Strega
Roku Guru

Remember that when you watch commercial TV, you are the product.  The advertiser is the customer.  The customer (advertiser) may have data that shows that many Spanish-speaking people are watching a channel (and they may indeed be doing that to improve their English.)  But the customer may feel that his ads will work better on them in Spanish, so he can do them that way if that's what he wants to pay for.

dharris41786
Channel Surfer

For me, it is the 500 channels. The Lubriderm commercial is in Spanish, which unfortunately, I do not speak.

cah78

How can commercials appeal to me if I do not understand them?

dharris41786
Channel Surfer

That makes sense. Still wish I spoke Spanish.

USbornCitizen
Channel Surfer

All of them, from what I can tell. I live in Arizona so I haven't got a clue why Roku thinks I live in Mexico city. I'm even getting commercials to watch Mexican Fùtbal, all in spanish🤣