Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VelvetElvis
Level 7

Who develops new channels?

Jump to solution

My Internet service provider has been promising Roku support for their Internet TV for ages. Their largest competition has had a channel for over a year now.

My question is, who is responsible for developing such a channel? Should I be after my ISP, or is it Roku that's dragging their feet?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Who develops new channels?

Jump to solution

@VelvetElvis 

Roku, with very rare exceptions, does not build apps for third parties. If someone wants an app, they need to build an app. Once submitted, if Roku approves it, it will be added to the Channel Store. Even if Roku rejects it for some reason, they can still launch a non-certified app, though that's not something commonly done by bigger companies.

Note that not a lot of ISPs have Roku apps. If it's a major ISP, then they may indeed be developing one. If they're small, they may realize that it's a large undertaking to launch an app that properly handles live streaming restricted to customers and possibly certain ISPs.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@VelvetElvis 

Roku, with very rare exceptions, does not build apps for third parties. If someone wants an app, they need to build an app. Once submitted, if Roku approves it, it will be added to the Channel Store. Even if Roku rejects it for some reason, they can still launch a non-certified app, though that's not something commonly done by bigger companies.

Note that not a lot of ISPs have Roku apps. If it's a major ISP, then they may indeed be developing one. If they're small, they may realize that it's a large undertaking to launch an app that properly handles live streaming restricted to customers and possibly certain ISPs.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
VelvetElvis
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for the explanation and quick reply. Cheers!

0 Kudos