Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ktryv
Channel Surfer

Re: Where the subtitles on the HBO max app?

Yes, it may be something to do with software not properly taking account of the ads. I also had the cheap, ad-based subscription.

0 Kudos
NotASpeckOfCere
Streaming Star

This is happening to me. 

NOTE: The HBO MAX app doesn't just fail to show subtitles, it turns off subtitles setting for the HBO MAX app, and it TURNS OFF ALL ROKU CAPTIONS (for all channels). That is, if I go back to the ROKU Settings, I find Accessibility, Captions set to off.

I can turn the ROKU captions back on in settings, and the HBO MAX captions back on in settings, then watch the show to find no subtitles, then go back out to the settings for both HBO MAX and ROKU to find the settings turned off. This means that to each other channels with subs, I have to repeatedly go back into ROKU settings and turn Captions back on.

If the show doesn't have subs, it should show nothing, not turn the settings off.

USER DATA FOR ME:

• ROKU ULTRA
  • I've been leaving Captions on the ROKU "always on" for years (hearing impaired) and it used to be a "set and forget" thing (I never lost the setting) until I started using the HBO MAX app
  • HBO MAX full subscription (not the cheaper, 'with ads' version)
  • Some HBO MAX programs have subs and it works. I've recently watched 2 seasons of "RAISED BY WOLVES" with subs
  • The one that has been giving me recent headaches is LOVECRAFT COUNTRY. 
  • I can REPEATEDLY turn all setting back on, try to watch LOVECRAFT COUNTRY, and find the settings variously set off (sometimes off just for the HBO MAX app and still on for ROKU, but still no subs)
  • I have REMOVED the HBO MAX app, restarted the ROKU, then re-added the HBO MAX app, to no avail. 
  • I MUST have subs. I am hearing impaired. Even with hearing aids, I can't make everything out. So my viewing experience without subs is VERY POOR.

Adding to that, I finally search the web and find this thread and how long this has been going on. 

EDIT: Please let me know if I need to take this to support for the HBO MAX app, and if you have contact information, that would be appreciated. I am happy to push this to the proper channels. 

EDIT 2: Shows that worked before are no longer showing subtitles/captions (such as the above mentioned RAISED BY WOLVES). 

EDIT 3: I have verified that other channels' apps (Disney, Netflix, Prime, etc.) support subtitles/captions just as they always have. I have to turn them back on in Roku settings (because the HBO Max app turns them off for the entire Roku 4640x), but they work. Then I can reproduce the previous steps above to find that HBO Max a) doesn't display subtitles and b) turns them off for the entire device.

Chris

NotASpeckOfCere
Streaming Star

So, 2 weeks since my post (just above) and ... no reply at all?

<crickets>

What gives?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Unfortunately, that's a channel that is misbehaving, and Roku can't fix it. HBO will need to address problems with their channel. and based on their past history they don't do a very good job of it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@NotASpeckOfCere  Warner Media is the developer of the HBO Max channel. You can reach out to them

NotASpeckOfCere
Streaming Star

Thanks for the replies.

All attempts to find a Warners Media contact form have led me to only press/career links. Instead, I found and used the following HBO feedback form:

https://help.hbomax.com/us/ContactUs/Topic/Using_HBO_Max

I recommend that all of us with issues contact them so they better know the scope of the problem. 

Chris

0 Kudos
Ktryv
Channel Surfer

I contacted HBO directly (see earlier post above). The support people I reached acknowledged that there was a problem with their app but all they could do was flag the problem for their managers and hope that the problem would eventually reach someone motivated enough to fix it. I am not holding my breath.

Given that that there is plenty of evidence online that people have been complaining to both Roku and HBO about the awful subtitles and closed captioning on HBO's Roku app for over a year and the problem continues, a better course of action might be to encourage users to file complaints.

Also, while the primary party responsible in this case appears to be HBO, the "not our problem" response from Roku strikes me as disingenuous or at best unhelpful. Who is the "VPD" in this case: HBO, Roku, or both? Does Roku not have some responsibility for the quality of the code it allows to run on its devices? Has Roku made a good faith effort to notify HBO that their app isn't working properly and has it requested HBO to fix the problem?

atc98092

I've used that contact at HBO Max for a different issue, and their response was lacking, to say the least. I reported a problem with my Shield close to a year ago. I still occasionally get an email stating they have someone working the issue, but nothing ever happened. I gave up and only use my Roku Ultra for HBO Max. At least it has worked reliably for me. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Ktryv
Channel Surfer

I told HBO we weren't renewing our subscription.  We watched two shows and bailed after the subtitling issues on the second one. We are unlikely to return until I hear their app issues have been fixed. There are plenty good shows on other streaming channels that work.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I completely agree with that sentiment. Since I get HBO Max as part of my cellular plan, I couldn't use that threat with them. But there's plenty of other content available from many providers, some even free if you can tolerate their commercials. After spending my whole life with broadcast TV that has ads, it's not too big a deal with most channels. 

Dan

0 Kudos