Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris26

Re: Where the subtitles on the HBO max app?

That works well on everything except for Harry Potter movies on Roku/HBO. On PC the cc works fine on Harry Potter. I've tried reformatting, restarting, reloading. CCwill  link on briefly then zap away. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Chris26 

I started the first HP movie, and I am seeing the captions fine. I'm not certain how long you mean by "briefly". I'm several minutes into playback at the moment. I don't want to watch this particular movie at this time, so I'm not going to let it run. This is on an Ultra 4800 using OS 10.5, and HBO Max version 50.60.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jnyerere89
Reel Rookie

I am experiencing the same. Almost none of the HBO shows I watch, nor the movies and documentaries have working CC. I've tried via the * button on my Roku Remote. I've also tried via the HBO Max app settings. At this point, it's safe to say that the flaw is within the Roku version of the HBO Max app. I just don't understand how a premium brand like HBO could so easily screw up something as simple as a Roku app. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @jnyerere89

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

In some cases, removing the affected channel then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart > Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if this works for you!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TheSparrow
Reel Rookie

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and the other basic troubleshooting things before I came online to try to get more sophisticated help.

The captions don’t work on my sister’s Roku HBO app either. It seems like if this many of us are having the same problem, it must be an internal problem on the developer’s end. 

0 Kudos
alev
Reel Rookie

I've found on my Philips TV on HDMI settings the option HDMI Ultra HD was set on Standard, I changed to Optimal and then subtitles appears on the app. I had now Dolby Vision and 4k HDR available because roku found only 1080 HDR only for video settings

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, most/all 4K TVs have a setting for the HDMI inputs to enable the full bandwidth signal. Most TVs I've seen have a setting for each HDMI input separately. Samsung labels theirs UHD Color. I forgot what my LG calls them, but it's something slightly different. 

Dan

0 Kudos
RocksMommy
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same problem with no subtitles on my Roku ultra while streaming Torchwood on the HBO Max. Other shows on other apps on the Roku show the subtitles just fine so I thought it was an issue with the HBO or Torchwood itself. I switched to the kitchen tv when I was making dinner & the subtitles worked for Torchwood on HBO Max. When I went back to the original tv I was trying to watch, I switched off the Roku to use just the smart tv & the subtitles worked 🤔🤔...so, somehow, I seems the problem is only with trying to watch the HBO Max with the Roku that's giving me the issue. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

I just checked Torchwood, and it doesn't appear to offer captions on Roku devices for that title. The info line only shows running time (S1E1 50 minutes), rating (TV-MA), year and resolution (HD). Although I just checked a title I know that has captions and it didn't list it either, so maybe that's not a good indicator. So, I went back and started Torchwood, and captions were there. 

Don't forget that on Roku devices, you control the captions using the * button. It's not within the Max app itself like some other channels. 

Dan

0 Kudos
RocksMommy
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your reply 🙂. I have the Roku captions set for always on & they work for all the other channels/apps & shows I've watched. The HBO Max is the only one that won't show the captions for any of the shows I've tried. I made sure my Roku is up to date, I've got the most recent HBO Max app, & I've restarted my Roku, so idk what else to try. The captions work for the HBO Max if I'm not using the Roku but I use it mostly bc I prefer the Roku remote. I need the cc more though, so my need outweighs my preference 😉.

0 Kudos