Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FM87
Reel Rookie

Where the subtitles on the HBO max app?

HBO max has subtitles for almost all of it shows and movies. For whatever reason the HBO max app on the Roku won’t give me subtitles on any of it shows. Does anybody have a solution ? thank you in advance

44 REPLIES 44
RonBoyd
Reel Rookie

Re: Where the **bleep** are my subtitles on the HBO max app?

It must be the **bleep**ing operator. Using our ROKU, I am able to view CC on every (well, four) HBO MAX selections I tried. How current is your device?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@FM87

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried pressing the * button and making sure the closed captions are on? Are you able to see closed captions on other channels on your Roku device?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
FM87
Reel Rookie

Re: Where the **bleep** areHope that makes sense my subtitles on the HBO max app?

I did end up doing that. But the HBO max app on all of the platforms besides Roku you can access subtitles by simply pressing down, in the HBO max app has its own provided subtitles. With the way that you’re saying, I did provide a solution, but I have to go all the way to the settings interrupt what I’m watching and then press it. I was just frustrated why the HBO max Roku version didn’t have the subtitles logo right below the play button on the screen versus having to go to the settings on the TV and getting close captioning turned on.

Hope that makes sense

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Where the **bleep** areHope that makes sense my subtitles on the HBO max app?

I had to reboot my Ultra once to get the captions back. Why? No idea. All I can say is HBO hasn't done a great job with their apps. I can't always get the captions to play on my Shield either. Even worse, 5.1 audio wasn't available until a really recent update on the Shield, and even so it still freezes up on me. I have found HBO Max works far better on my Ultra 4800 than my Nvidia Shield, which cost almost double the Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
FM87
Reel Rookie

Interesting, great input. Thank you. Perhaps I’ll go  complain to HBO then then. 

0 Kudos
culverm
Reel Rookie

Subtitles and CC are not the same thing. Other streaming services offer subtitles. HBOMax only appears to only offer CC. So instead of a translation, we also get a caption for every sound effect and every character doing the speaking. Great for someone hard of hearing, makes for a horrible viewing experience for those of us who only desire a translation. But let's be clear. They are not the same thing at all. Roku saying they are the same thing doesn't make it so, it means Roku is in favor of a lousy viewing experience.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Closed Caption and Subtitle are used interchangeably. I understand the distinction you're making, but it don't matter in the end. All sorts of hardware providers (TVs, Blu Ray and DVD players, streaming players) use either/or to describe the same thing.

Captions/Subtitles are provided by the service provider, not Roku. So unless you're referring to The Roku Channel, whatever type of caption offered isn't under the control of Roku. So you're not being fair saying Roku is offering a "lousy viewing experience".

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
aobaob83

Re: Where the subtitles on the HBO max app?

Under the TV seatings by pressing the star button you can change the language and under accesability look for captioning tracking and you can change the subtitles so inconvenient but it worked. 

0 Kudos
TheSparrow
Reel Rookie

Re: Where the subtitles on the HBO max app?

I can not get captions to appear on any of the HBO stuff except super new ones, like released this year or last. So like The Dark Materials and The Nevers has captions, but the Harry Potter Movies and Doctor Who don’t have any. Captions work fine on my iPhone for all of those, but not on my Roku TV nor my sister’s Roku stick. 

Captions work fine on my other Roku channels. I have turned on HBO captions via the * during the show, via the HBO general settings, and via the Roku general settings.

I have worked with HBO tech support all to no avail. No captions on most movies or shows. I’m disabled and this lack makes it extremely difficult for me to follow the content.