Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@txgonzo2015 wrote:

No deal in place yet. They launched before having a deal in place. Looks More like a negotiating tactic to me by Warner. That way, we complain and they hope it forces Roku to lower deal cost.

Perhaps it is part of a AT&T master negotiating strategy. Wait until the Snyder Cut of Justice League is ready sometime in 2021 and the Roku subscribers will 'rise up' and demand that HBO Max be allowed on the platform. 

Brilliant!!  Smiley LOL

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@ALowDownDirty wrote:

From what Warner has said publicly,

it sounds to me like Roku is wanting to keep their deal the same as it was for HBO NOW/Go. Warner is arguing that Max is more similar to services like Netflix and Hulu, and they want a deal that reflects that. If that's the case, I'm on the same side as Warner. The new service is a lot closer to Netflix and Hulu than something like the CW app or whatever

I agree. If HBO Max wants to be treated like Netflix, Disney+ and HULU that is fair. But, Roku and for that matter Amazon have a right to negotiate for a fair compensation for the millions of subscribers of HBO NOW through their channels programs that they will lose. If AT&T's position on that is 'no deal', then they are at fault as well. They are the ones changing the business model. One that Netflix, Disney+ and HULU never went down.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@txgonzo2015 wrote:

No deal in place yet. They launched before having a deal in place. Looks More like a negotiating tactic to me by Warner. That way, we complain and they hope it forces Roku to lower deal cost.

Perhaps we should mark July 31, 2020 on our calendars!!

HBO Go Shuttered, HBO Now Renamed in 'Significant' Brand Overhaul in Wake of HBO Max Launch 

In a statement, WarnerMedia says, “Now that HBO Max has launched and is widely distributed, we… will be sunsetting our HBO GO service in the U.S. We intend to remove the HBO GO app from primary platforms as of July 31, 2020. Most customers who have traditionally used HBO GO to stream HBO programming are now able to do so via HBO Max, which offers access to all of HBO together with so much more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Here's what it sounds like to me:  I used to have a Honda Civic.  I drove that Honda a bit too fast back when I was a kid, and I got pulled over.  I couldn't pay the ticket and the registration on the car was suspended.  So, I painted racing stripes on it, bolted on a spoiler, new exhaust, and some slotted brake rotors.

When I got pulled over again the cop said "your car's registration is suspended" and I said "no no no officer, that was my old car, this is Honda Civic Max, it's completely new and not subject to any of the rules of my old Honda Civic."  He rolled his eyes and impounded my car.

HBO Max is impounded and the fees get worse by the day.  Frankly I think the whole **bleep** thing is going to fail.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Aether-Torem wrote:

HBO Max is impounded and the fees get worse by the day.  Frankly I think the whole **bleep** thing is going to fail.

I don't know if it will fail. There is so much quality content there it would take some doing to completely fail.

But, this is AT&T. They are quite proficient at buying entertainment assets and then completely confusing their customers with way too many pricing and access models and then running the whole thing in a ditch a few times before finally getting the thing back on the road and all the mud off the tires. This appears to be no exception.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@ALowDownDirty wrote:

From what Warner has said publicly,

@txgonzo2015 wrote:

it sounds to me like Roku is wanting to keep their deal the same as it was for HBO NOW/Go. Warner is arguing that Max is more similar to services like Netflix and Hulu, and they want a deal that reflects that. If that's the case, I'm on the same side as Warner. The new service is a lot closer to Netflix and Hulu than something like the CW app or whatever

I think you got Roku and Warner mixed up there. Warner probably wants to keep the same deal it had with its much smaller offering (HBO GO/NOW) and Roku is saying no, it's a new product more in line with Netflix and a deal should be negotiated to reflect that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

News today says that there will be two brands, HBO and HBO Max as of the end of July.  Previously it was just going to be HBO Max.  

My reading of that says that there isn't going to be a new deal with Amazon or Roku.  

I don't think we are getting an app folks.  I think the long run of that is HBO Max fails, Roku and Amazon lose a number of customers.  No good for anyone.  

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Got a chromecast and it works perfectly.  On the PS4 as well. Roku is just sitting there unused and all the channels I now have through other apps. Until Roku and HBO can get a deal done,  it will continue to sit there and lose all the money they had coming in from my Roku Channels. Hulu Live TV and all the premium channels. All because they couldn't put their customers first over share holders already loaded bank accounts. 

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

The issue wasn't with HBO, it's with Roku. HBO Max was designed with the same business model as Netflix and Disney+, which is that all their original content will be exclusively delivered through the HBO Max app itself so that they can offer a cohesive experience to their customers. Roku was/is insisting that HBO continue to make their content available through the Roku channel (as they did with HBO Now and Go) which HBO does not want to do since the whole point of redesigning to their HBO Max app was to consolidate their distribution into this new, simpler business model. That is what is holding negotiations up. From a business perspective here Roku is very clearly being the more unreasonable party. Imagine if a luxury clothing store like Armani was negotiating with your local mall to open up a store and everything was agreed upon (rent, placement, square footage, etc.) then at the last minute the mall insisted that Armani also sell their products in the kiosks at the front of the mall, next to items from Macy's and Gap and Old Navy. An immense amount of Armani's value comes from it's brand, controlling the experience of shopping to put their products in the right context. This is what HBO does with their content. Roku has very little power here, because they're only ONE of the many streaming venues for content, but HBO has a monopoly on their content because they are the one's who create it. It's a classic case of a middleman getting megalomania about their contribution to the value chain. This is exactly what sunk cable.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Randyups, two points: one it is not clearly AT&T's fault, you can find the specifics of what the hold up is and it's Roku insisting on HBO distributing it's content through the Roku channel, which is an unreasonable request by roku. Two, if you think Roku is actually reading this forum then you're sorely mistaken. Roku doesn't care, this entire forum is only the shadow of customer service. They put it up so we can all complain because they don't take our opinions seriously, they simply just think we're complaining about nothing and that once we "get it out of our system" we'll be happy roku customers again. 

They have one week to agree a deal with HBO or I'm switching to chromecast.