Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

We aren't getting rid of our Rokus, but I won't buy another Roku TV. Buying a smart tv that's NOT Roku means we should be able to bypass these squabbles.

And I also have a few Fire devices, as well as a Chromecast.

I think the key to all of this in the future is not to put our faith in one company. To diversify.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@shelleyp wrote:

We aren't getting rid of our Rokus, but I won't buy another Roku TV. Buying a smart tv that's NOT Roku means we should be able to bypass these squabbles.

And I also have a few Fire devices, as well as a Chromecast.

I think the key to all of this in the future is not to put our faith in one company. To diversify.

EXACTLY!!

I have three (3) TCL Roku TV's. When they got in a squabble with FOX over the Super Bowl, I added three (3) Fire TV 4K devices to my TCL Roku TV's. I am not in the market for a TV, but I would still buy a TCL TV that happens to have the Roku OS on it and then plug my Fire TV device into it as well. Options.

All of these declarative statements of throwing all hardware out and never returning confounds me. We should just accept that in a streaming world we probably all need 2 to 3 platform choices at our disposal for these inevitable squabbles between streaming providers and content providers. It isn't going to happen less frequently going forward.

Peacock streaming and a re-branded ViacomCBS service are next. Will they insist on a standalone app model only or will they work within Roku channels as well? Will Roku insist on both and take another hard stance? Don't know. But, having a few platform options at the time is a good decision. Beats having to dumpster dive for your old Roku, because that is now the platform that has the shiny new service on it that your replacement streaming device now doesn't!!  Smiley LOL

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku ain't the problem on this, it's on Warner to get this done.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Honestly, I may just stream if from my laptop until they release the app. I am confident it will make it on ROKU soon enough.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I keep seeing people stating the problem is on Roku, or the problem is with AT&T, or whatever.  At the end of the day, I really don't care where the problem is.  I am the consumer, this is content I want to watch, and this platform does not have it.  Again - don't care why, but it isn't here.

My options are to spite myself and stay without the content.  Spite HBO and tell them I won't sign-up until they agree with Roku, which also keeps me from seeing the content.  Or, I can go to a platform that has HBO Max and watch the content.

As a consumer with no skin in the game between Roku and HBO, I will choose the 3rd option.  No reason for me to be a fan-boy for Roku and lose out on HBO content.  Anyone can spend $30 and be watching HBO Max comfortably on a TV.

There may be some very righteous people here that feel they have to watch HBO Max on their Roku, but speaking as someone who has Fire Sticks, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV; the apps are the same irregardless of the platform.  Roku no longer is any more innovative on the hardware/app platform than anyone else.

So - deny yourself the content all you want.  People that have any other major platform outside of Roku will be watching HBO Max while you demand the app to be released on Roku.  And the app is available for Roku, just Roku won't release it until they get their advertising demands and Roku channel integration.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@blade_005 wrote:

The Roku infrastructure allows for a simple inexpensive device that most customers find easy to use. But, you are correct. We can all hook up a PC to our televisions, grab a keyboard and have access to all of these services uninterrupted. And millions have chosen NOT to do that.

Whether you use a particular streaming device or not, it is in all of our best interest that streaming device/services like Roku, Amazon (Fire TV), Google (Chromecast, Android TV), and Apple TV exist and continue as viable companies. They drive competition, innovation and hopefully they maintain enough of a subscriber base that they can keep content providers in check when their demands become egregious.

I have never owned an Apple product and don't have plans to, but I value their presence in this space. They drive innovation and competition and keep a Roku, Amazon or Google evolving their offerings. And an Apple TV user should be grateful that a Roku and Amazon exist. Their low cost devices are likely one of the reasons that Apple has chosen to charge $200 for their device and not $400.

I hate that Roku and Amazon customers are currently excluded from access to HBO Max. But, wishing for their failure is not in any of our best interests in the long run. They all need to make money and we just happen to be caught in the middle of their negotiations.

Pick another device if you must have HBO Max today on a streaming device. There is absolutely no guarantee that you won't be throwing that thing in a dumpster in 6 to 12 months for the exact  same reason with another service.

There are a lot of options other than Roku and hooking a computer to your tv. Roku was often recommended (go read the reviews) as they were seen as a neutral publishing platform that stayed out of these content games that they're now in - seemingly moreso than the other major players. You didn't have to worry about Amazon and Google not getting along and missing out on channels, or Amazon and apple, etc. But now they seem worse. 

NOBODY buys a Roku to have a Roku - they buy it to have access to content. Without content seeming to be more of an issue, there's less of a reason to stay with Roku.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Infensus wrote:

There may be some very righteous people here that feel they have to watch HBO Max on their Roku, but speaking as someone who has Fire Sticks, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV; the apps are the same irregardless of the platform.

FYI. If you have a Fire Stick and have not done it yet, just do a search on how to install the Android TV version of HBO Max app on your Fire TV Stick. You will have HBO Max up and streaming in no time.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Poundsand wrote:

NOBODY buys a Roku to have a Roku - they buy it to have access to content. Without content seeming to be more of an issue, there's less of a reason to stay with Roku.

Good luck in your search. The point as others have stated is that we all probably need to get used to having multiple devices to help mitigate these instances. Abandoning one device/service today because of the absence of one streaming service likely means you will play whack-a-mole with devices and services for years to come.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

No deal in place yet. They launched before having a deal in place. Looks More like a negotiating tactic to me by Warner. That way, we complain and they hope it forces Roku to lower deal cost.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

From what Warner has said publicly,

@txgonzo2015 wrote:

No deal in place yet. They launched before having a deal in place. Looks More like a negotiating tactic to me by Warner. That way, we complain and they hope it forces Roku to lower deal cost.

it sounds to me like Roku is wanting to keep their deal the same as it was for HBO NOW/Go. Warner is arguing that Max is more similar to services like Netflix and Hulu, and they want a deal that reflects that. If that's the case, I'm on the same side as Warner. The new service is a lot closer to Netflix and Hulu than something like the CW app or whatever