Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@tae111 wrote:

They had the nerve to send this today http://x.email1.roku.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1=771d5a491151c38ebeb97940855f3b0f

Like I would even think of purchasing anything from them right now.

I know I won't be buying or recommending ROKU until this is ALL straightened out (read that as it quits happening with new popular channel releases). I will also include how long it takes them to resolve this current mess to customer satisfaction in my calculations as to whether I will EVER buy or recommend a ROKU again.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

Works just fine on Apple 4K tv.... just saying.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@bknabe wrote:

@helloisme wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Cat2040 wrote:

Its not Roku but Warner.  The greed factor is driving warners decision not to sign with Roku, Fire TV and similar services .  More and more of us have turned off cable and moved to the streaming platforms.   Comcast is Warner.  Not recommending services like Roku just plays into their plan to bring us all back to high priced cable TV.  

As I've said before, it's a battle for control. Warner (ATT) and Comcast (NBC/Universal) are not happy that they don't control streaming and are working hard to fix that. They've already demonized Roku and Firestick to many people.

Yep. This thread and forums are somehow full of folks sticking up for ATT and Comcast! I've never seen that before. These companies want to control all streaming between your eye balls and their own productions. They are absolutely gargantuan companies with incredible investments in their content acquisitions. Of course they are going to try to squeeze the most out of it. If Roku does not play by their rules, they are hinging their bets that they can just wait it out if Roku does not want to lose market. They already control everything from production up to the box being that they are nearly completely vertically integrated (seeing as they are also ISPs as well), and no doubt would prefer to control the box and anything it does as well

I used to blog on Internet security and privacy. Comcast and Warner were absolute nightmares, and on top of that had a habit of throttling anything that might be used to damage their profits, like BitTorrent and Netflix.

I buy it. Cable providers were typically the aggressors in pursuit of maximizing profits. That hasn't changed, especially with streaming blowing up like it has. They are losing a ton of profit by losing TV subscriptions and control (which itself is profit) by not controlling that pipeline which included the set-top box. My theory on the disagreement is that it's about the data on the set-top box - aka the Roku (or Fire Stick) in this case. Controlling that data is very potent, and ISPs aren't going to content themselves with "just" being a streaming channel - they likely want control of the box too. Naturally, Roku wouldn't be cool with that as that's not only their own profit stream, but it's also their own box. Can't know for sure without being a fly on the wall in those negotiations though.

Folks in here are claiming ISPs just want the same contract D+ got, do you actually know that to be the case? What kind of a deal did D+ get? What data-sharing or data control agreements are in place around D+?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, but my issue isn't getting HBO Max, I would prefer to receive it on my main system with surround sound and 65 inch TV.  The TV, with 2014 trash Samsung app software, does not carry it and my Roku box, as discussed, does not either.  A major rewire of the AVR switching system could possibly allow me to cast it to the Samsung.  Not sure this is the point of these posts....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Not sure that its "the data on the box".  More likely its the user data not being passed through.  And the cut Roku wants to distribute.  The same issues reside with Amazon Prime, wanting in some cases 45% to carry a content provider.  What the HBO and Roku deals points are being negotiated, as your stated, we are not flies on the wall.  But whatever the divide, the consumer pays, as in no Dodger baseball in LA for almost 6 years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@RIPSTER818 wrote:

Not sure that its "the data on the box".  More likely its the user data not being passed through.  And the cut Roku wants to distribute.  The same issues reside with Amazon Prime, wanting in some cases 45% to carry a content provider.  What the HBO and Roku deals points are being negotiated, as your stated, we are not flies on the wall.  But whatever the divide, the consumer pays, as in no Dodger baseball in LA for almost 6 years.

Ripster where did you get the 45% at? That is a big number to ask a content provider to give up... If it is true I can see why HBO and Peacock are saying No.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Sorry don't remember the source.  But an article I read recently said Amazon charges between 15-45%.  Not sure of the reason for the range differences and, you are right, it's a huge number.  If I find the source again, I will repost.  Most distributors of physical product are somewhere around 20%.  And not forwarding the user data is an issue as well.  Maybe it borders on privacy laws, but one would think a provider could obtain subscriber info. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@RIPSTER818 wrote:

Sorry don't remember the source.  But an article I read recently said Amazon charges between 15-45%.  Not sure of the reason for the range differences and, you are right, it's a huge number.  If I find the source again, I will repost.  Most distributors of physical product are somewhere around 20%.  And not forwarding the user data is an issue as well.  Maybe it borders on privacy laws, but one would think a provider could obtain subscriber info. 

The source is Variety Magazine:

A central sticking point: WarnerMedia wants to remove HBO from Amazon’s Prime Video Channels and the Roku Channel. That’s so the media conglomerate can keep customers within the HBO Max app experience, giving it the ability to gather data for recommendations and (down the road) ad targeting.
Apple, which offers the HBO Max app, agreed to stop selling HBO through Apple TV Channels. But Amazon and Roku are resisting.

“They want to aggregate all this content into a central experience,” says an industry exec familiar with the talks. “But Netflix is never going to do that. Hulu is never going to do that. HBO did that early on, and now Amazon and Roku have a real problem because if HBO is not in their channels that model falls apart.”

Indeed, the channel-aggregation biz has become lucrative for Roku and Amazon. According to Amazon, almost 5 million HBO subscribers access the service through Prime Video Channels. Overall, nearly one-third of U.S. consumers who subscribed to a streaming service in the past 12 months used aggregation services on Amazon, Roku and Apple, according to a Parks Associates study conducted in Q1.
In a statement, WarnerMedia said, “We look forward to reaching agreements with the few outstanding distribution partners left [for HBO Max], including with Amazon and on par with how they provide customers access to Netflix, Disney Plus and Hulu on Fire devices.”

Meanwhile, Peacock chief Matt Strauss tells Variety, “We are certainly engaged in discussions with every platform,” and says NBCU is open to various forms of “value exchange” in such deals.

For the streaming services, the problem isn’t revenue sharing per se. (Roku takes a standard 20% cut of subscription fees, while Amazon’s take is believed to range from 15%-45%.) Apple and Google slice off a comparable piece of the subscription dollars that flow through their platforms.

The issues are the extras Roku and Amazon want thrown in, including ad inventory (Roku’s standard ask is 30%), rights to resell services in their channel stores and “free content” for the ad-supported Roku Channel and IMDb TV. Roku also asks for a marketing-spend commitment from partners, which among other things grants their channels preferred placement on the menu. (Roku and Amazon declined to comment on specific negotiating points.)

Roku and Amazon are arguably a duopoly, says a media exec: “It’s the classic ‘Get everybody on the platform’ and then change the game.”

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for backing my stats but I won't post anything that I don't think is real. Looks like I nailed it exactly on the head. In the meantime Roku stock goes up and you and I get kicked to the curb. What sucks is the Spectrum HBO on demand doesn't have half the movies that HBO Max has. The good news is I can get it on the bedroom TV so lots of late nights!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yeah, no **bleep**. We’re trying to figure out a way to watch the apps we pay for on your device that we bought. Get it together. 

0 Kudos