Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Fire stick with side loaded android app is the easiest. Super simple. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Randyps wrote:

The problem is clearly with HBO Max and ATT not Roku or Amazon.  ATT is the holdup not allowing its products on those platforms that cover 70% of streaming consumers.  Unfortonately it's nearly impossible to get feedback to HBO Max, though clearly much easier as here for feedback to Roku or Amazon.  Roku is ready to provide the access once HBO Max decides their compensation model.

Not clear at all. ATT has the apps ready. Roku doesn't want to allow it without being able to include it in their channel and taking a (bigger?) cut of revenue. I just want hardware to run apps, I don't care if they get the deal they want to support their ad platform and channel. 

I'm newish to Roku, and they can be easily replaced. Hbomax cannot be easily replaced. My rokus will be replaced tomorrow (unless by some miracle the app shows up tomorrow). Kind of annoying to replace new hardware, but not that big a big deal - just a couple pieces of hardware to do ate to goodwill. Roku better get it together though if they want to keep growing. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

You can sign up for HBO Max through Hulu which is an app available on Roku. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Amazon has a similar issue.  They just want their cut.  I pay for HBO I do t care about Roku or Amazon they are mediums.  I can side load android TV to make it work on Amazon.  They SHOULD NOT dictate (as a medium) how I pay or access my apps.  It like Microsoft saying I can’t access Netflix from my PC.  

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@KJarvis wrote:

You can sign up for HBO Max through Hulu which is an app available on Roku. 

You can subscribe to it through HULU, but if you are on a Roku device you will only have access to the HBO NOW linear content. The only way to access the MAX content of HBO Max is to install the standalone HBO Max app, which is not available on the Roku platform.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Poundsand wrote:

I just want hardware to run apps, I don't care if they get the deal they want to support their ad platform and channel. 

I'm newish to Roku, and they can be easily replaced. Hbomax cannot be easily replaced. 

Hardware requires an infrastructure. Roku does not make money on hardware sales. They make money on their advertising, subscription deals and channels. If you don't care about those, then you don't have a service from any streaming provider to run your HBO Max on. But, AT&T reps will be happy to hear how much you value their content. I'm sure they will be happy to add in a few more originals and then decide that $18.99 a month is a proper fee to charge.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@blade_005 wrote:

@Poundsand wrote:

I just want hardware to run apps, I don't care if they get the deal they want to support their ad platform and channel. 

I'm newish to Roku, and they can be easily replaced. Hbomax cannot be easily replaced. 

Hardware requires an infrastructure. Roku does not make money on hardware sales. They make money on their advertising, subscription deals and channels. If you don't care about those, then you don't have a service from any streaming provider to run your HBO Max on. But, AT&T reps will be happy to hear how much you value their content. I'm sure they will be happy to add in a few more originals and then decide that $18.99 a month is a proper fee to charge.

No, hardware doesn't require an infrastructure (from roku (you obviously need things like internet)); the hardware can be largely standalone, just like computers, from which you can stream anything. Roku used to be work similarly to this. Then they wanted to be more and more of an ad platform and have their own channel, which then requires an infrastructure. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

We already started phasing out our Roku devices. We put a mibox on our roku tv in the living room. We don't use the roku part of the tv anymore. We will also be replacing the bedroom roku tv soon with an android tv. Bye bye roku.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Poundsand wrote:

No, hardware doesn't require an infrastructure (from roku (you obviously need things like internet)); the hardware can be largely standalone, just like computers, from which you can stream anything. Roku used to be work similarly to this. Then they wanted to be more and more of an ad platform and have their own channel, which then requires an infrastructure. 

The Roku infrastructure allows for a simple inexpensive device that most customers find easy to use. But, you are correct. We can all hook up a PC to our televisions, grab a keyboard and have access to all of these services uninterrupted. And millions have chosen NOT to do that.

Whether you use a particular streaming device or not, it is in all of our best interest that streaming device/services like Roku, Amazon (Fire TV), Google (Chromecast, Android TV), and Apple TV exist and continue as viable companies. They drive competition, innovation and hopefully they maintain enough of a subscriber base that they can keep content providers in check when their demands become egregious.

I have never owned an Apple product and don't have plans to, but I value their presence in this space. They drive innovation and competition and keep a Roku, Amazon or Google evolving their offerings. And an Apple TV user should be grateful that a Roku and Amazon exist. Their low cost devices are likely one of the reasons that Apple has chosen to charge $200 for their device and not $400.

I hate that Roku and Amazon customers are currently excluded from access to HBO Max. But, wishing for their failure is not in any of our best interests in the long run. They all need to make money and we just happen to be caught in the middle of their negotiations.

Pick another device if you must have HBO Max today on a streaming device. There is absolutely no guarantee that you won't be throwing that thing in a dumpster in 6 to 12 months for the exact  same reason with another service.