Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

It's still an HBO issue.  People who subscribed through Amazon are running into the same thing.  It's HBO/ATT that doesn't recognize the access when Roku or Amazon do the signing up.  It's been mentioned a lot on the issue with not being on Amazon Fire TV.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Why not call HBO and change over your billing?  Just cancel your subscription with Roku and give HBO your CC or PayPal account info.

I had an issue with Disney+ that I want to change over my billing from Roku.  I had to cancel my Roku Disney+ subscription, but Roku won't release it on my end until the next billing cycle.  Then I can finally add in my CC info.  Probably to make sure they get their cut of the pie.

Roku has evolved into an advertising company that also sells hardware.  I want a hardware company that will add any app to the platform.  Once the new Google Android TV device comes out, I will see what apps are there and probably pick one up.  Keep the options open for other events like this.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Silicon Valley has learned over and over that you can't survive as a "hardware company". You have to eventually expand into services or advertising because once everyone owns your hardware, you stop making money.

I'm annoyed that I had to switch from my old Western Digital streamer box to Roku because of lack of modern support, but I've been overall very happy with my many Roku boxes. I lay blame for this nonsense with AT&T though. They ruin everything they touch.

They ruined DirecTV almost immediately, and they are likely going to ruin HBO. They've tied with Comcast for the worst company in existence for a very long time, and I can't believe this isn't mostly their fault.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Looks like  the best (only?) workaround for now is to drop the HBO  Now app and add Max to YouTube TV ... assuming you have YouTube TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I'm considering dumping DirecTV and going to YTTV. You're saying you can subscribe to HBOMax through YTTV and then watch that content on your Roku?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I own 5 Rokus and very disappointing.  I am looking at android devices to replace them.  

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Philomorph wrote:

I'm considering dumping DirecTV and going to YTTV. You're saying you can subscribe to HBOMax through YTTV and then watch that content on your Roku?

The HBO Max app is not released native on Roku.  Period.  Doesn't matter how you subscribe.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree - I've had 10 Roku boxes or TVs over the years, and the key reason was that they would be neutral in any streaming wars, making sure they carried all channels.   I understand the issue isn't all on Roku, but this HBO Max issue caused me to return my new Roku TV, and to start moving to other solutions.    It's really self destructive on Roku's part.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Throwing my 3 roku devices in the trash and dropping hbo max if a deal doesn't get done real soon

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

A lot of this seems like an overreaction. HBO Go and HBO Now still work on Roku, and that's where most of the good content is anyway Smiley Happy I'm sure they will get a deal worked out eventually. One of them is going to blink. Just give it a couple weeks.