Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Yup - I am dumping Roku. Only streaming platform without HBO Max. You can side load on Fire devices. 

No reason for this. Many other options. 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hey Infenus, how can people with ROKU TVs side load an Amazon Fire Stick to their ROKU TVs. I bet ROKU will not print your answer.

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

@Disappointed50 wrote:

Hey Infenus, how can people with ROKU TVs side load an Amazon Fire Stick to their ROKU TVs. I bet ROKU will not print your answer.

Ummm...you plug it in!  Lol!

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Disappointed50 wrote:

If you have an available HDMI port, you can buy a fire stick and use it the same as any other external device.  Once you have the fire stick enabled, you can find many sites where they take you through the 5 minute process of enabling non-amazon store apps, and then installing the HBO Max APK.

You can also get a Chromecast for $29 and use the HBO Max on your phone while casting the image to your TV.  This is not preferred by me since I don't like to control my TV from my phone.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have 6 Roku devices and I certainly won't be buying anything Roku again. As my devices reach end-of-support, or sooner, I will purchase something else for streaming. It looks to me that Roku is holding us all hostage to get their deal so they can sell us HBO Max as a part of their service. I don't even want that, I just wanted an App from the Channel Store. I've already cancelled my HBO Max sub as I don't want to watch it on my phone or iPad. I'll never subscribe to anything from the Roku Channel. I'm all caught up on HBO for now anyway. This affects millions of Roku customers and there's no sign that Roku even cares.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

It turns out that the amazon fire runs android apps...so with a little help from youtube and about 10 minutes, I now have HBO Max running on a fire stick and have disconnected one ROKU! Very easy to do.  The app screen still says HBO Now but all the content is MAX...HP Movies, Bugs Bunny and Robot Chicken to the rescue!  ROKU is going to get killed if they don't get a deal quickly.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hey folks, neither AT&T nor Roku is talking on this one, but AT&T launched a new service and failed to secure deals on not one but two platforms.  The biggest two, Roku and Amazon.  If it were just one or the other, I'd feel like maybe Roku is driving a hard bargain, but since it's both I think it's pretty clear AT&T is simply asking too much.  It's all speculation though, nobody knows because neither side is publicly talking about the specifics.  All we know for sure is that HBO Max isn't on Roku, and that reality hurts both servicessservices there is not insignificant demand for HBO Max, and Roku is a huge streaming platform.  

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Agreed. I don't lay blame on HBO for this.

I've been pretty satisfied with Roku over the years and have been buying more and more Roku devices WITHOUT THINKING each time a need for streaming would arise. I even have a Roku Smart TV.

Not anymore! 

Next time I need a streaming device, I'm gonna shop around. Roku has gotten too big for its britches. Its only job was to be a convenient conduit for streaming services. That's why we pay 100 bucks for 3 dollars worth of equipment. 

Not to mention some device problems I've been willing to put up with. Time to diversify. Or, next time there is another new streamer on ththe market, we're gonna be pawns again.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I really like my Roku units....I have 10 including several smart TVs....but this HBO stuff is **bleep**.  The amazon Fire units aren't bad and you can program them.  I hope someone on their staff reads these comments.  AT&T will win in a fight with Roku.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Also frustrated BUT found a work around, get the ROKU Mirror and stream HBOMAX from your phone 👍