Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@fluke 

I will be honest with you.  I would not even consider working for Roku in ANY position now or in the next 5 years.  The “old” Roku that catered to the cord cutter crowd no longer exists anymore as far as being user orientated.  The company has already left their fandom behind a very long time ago.     They only make their money in 2 ways:  

“......Roku turns a profit from two primary means: Distribution of content via its devices, and advertising sold on its platform…….”-https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/08/08/where-will-roku-be-in-5-years.aspx 

This is not a very user friendly way of making money It’s probably the only way to make money in this unstable world right now and in the foreseeable future.   In my previous working life, this was the same model Sears Roebuck & Co., The Broadway, and Forever 21 followed before they each fell.  Cut labor to the bone, shift interest/attention from the customer to the upper level people, and shareholders and reap the additional profits. I should know I worked from the ground up for all 3 of them.  That’s why I rather pass on these types of toxic companies.   Been there, done that.

I see Roku being snapped up eventually by another bigger fish sooner or later and simply disappear into that corporation’s own R&D department somewhere and quickly absorbed.  Roku’s newly former owners and shareholders will happily disappear into the sunset with their much fatter portfolios intact plus a lot more extra cash in their bank accounts.  The  now far fewer rank and file regular lower level employees left will disappear as well.  To the unemployment/welfare line.  And the consumer?  What can I say.  Nobody on this forum has/will have no place there anymore.

I can only offer 1 suggestion.  Don't put your faith/trust in any one make or model of any streamer.  I keep all of my streaming devices as I upgrade periodically as needed and make sure I have at least 2 different ones hooked up to each of my televisions at home-even this 24 inch secondary one: HMDI New Arraingmet As Diagram.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Iona-D 

I love your solution to diverisifying your OTT streaming device investment!  Several people on this thread might get upset about the suggestion of doing the same but I think it is very cool.  It does look a little like something that might come alive in the movie Maximum Overdrive (1986) and kill us all, but that is just my imagination being overly active.

However, I think you are missing the point of my question.  I respect you not wanting to work for Roku.  But consider the common refrain of getting to "be king for a day," if you could choose to control either Roku or WarnerMedia for a day and make a change such that HBO Max was released, which of the two companies would you choose to be "king" over and what exactly would you change about them?

Thanks again for the HDMI switch picture!  It is truly worth a thousand words.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

this topic has been marked solved for a long time, but i finally actually got my hbomax issue solved.

i got the new chromecast / google tv.

which also solved another problem that i had on my roku ultra - it would occasionally not have sound from the streaming apps (although the os would play sound) through my sonos beam.  no issues on the chromecast.  

i can also run a vpn directly on the chromecast and get me some netflix action from other regions.  awesome!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@DataDood wrote:

I don't believe you understand what's going on here.  Roku and Amazon are not attempting to extort or increase their percentage with AT&T/HBOmax, which they are gladly paying for standard HBO on both streaming platforms. So why now?  AT&T is trying to strong arm both Roku and Amazon because they want HBOmax to be a separate app that functions outside of the UI of both streaming platforms. Roku and Amazon are willing to walk from the deal under those terms. Thus AT&T is passing up 70% of the market (yes Roku and Amazon together own 70% of the streaming market) because they want to control the UI

so like almost every app on every platform.  weird they'd want that. ;D

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Poundsand wrote:

this topic has been marked solved for a long time, but i finally actually got my hbomax issue solved.

i got the new chromecast / google tv.

which also solved another problem that i had on my roku ultra - it would occasionally not have sound from the streaming apps (although the os would play sound) through my sonos beam.  no issues on the chromecast.  

[REDACTED]

I am glad you found a solution that works for you.  I also went the Android TV route to supplement Roku a while ago.  Out of curiousity, how do you like the remote (and lack of remote finder)?  Is it in anyway an improvement to Roku or did you find it to be a disappointment like I did?  How long is your's holding a charge?  I don't understand why Google went with AAA batteries.  I like so much better the battery life and feel of 2x AA batteries in a remote.

Regarding sound, is it safe to assume that your Roku Ultra is currently disconnected or did you want advise on how to troubleshoot getting it working more reliably with the Sonos Beam?

Lastly, please don't get the thread locked (or get yourself banned from the forum).  There seems to be some of the Community Guidelines they are willing to just give a warning but others they take much more seriously.  The Community Guideline #13 seems to be one line in the virtual sand they never want crossed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

I am glad you found a solution that works for you.  I also went the Android TV route to supplement Roku a while ago.  Out of curiousity, how do you like the remote (and lack of remote finder)?  Is it in anyway an improvement to Roku or did you find it to be a disappointment like I did?  How long is your's holding a charge?  I don't understand why Google went with AAA batteries.  I like so much better the battery life and feel of 2x AA batteries in a remote.

Regarding sound, is it safe to assume that your Roku Ultra is currently disconnected or did you want advise on how to troubleshoot getting it working more reliably with the Sonos Beam?

The only thing about the remote I don't like is that I find the roku's vol button placement is more natural, I think primarily due to the roku's remote being fatter. 

I like the idea of the remote finder, but don't actually ever use it on the roku,.so I guess that's mostly 'eh.' 

The remote battery... too early to tell. 

The roku ultra is currently stil plugged in, unused. The sonos beam... Everything in the chain has been updated, been rebooted multiple times, changed cables, and I only have one arc on my tv, so not sure what other troubleshooting is possible. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Poundsand wrote:

@fluke wrote:

The only thing about the remote I don't like is that I find the roku's vol button placement is more natural, I think primarily due to the roku's remote being fatter. 

I like the idea of the remote finder, but don't actually ever use it on the roku,.so I guess that's mostly 'eh.' 

The remote battery... too early to tell. 

The roku ultra is currently stil plugged in, unused. The sonos beam... Everything in the chain has been updated, been rebooted multiple times, changed cables, and I only have one arc on my tv, so not sure what other troubleshooting is possible. 

Can you go to Settings -> Audio -> HDMI and then change it from Auto to PCM and then see if the problem with the Sonos Beam continues.  If that works to fix your problem then you can try the other audio settings until you find what works best for you.

At least we can try to get audio working consistently on Roku ahead of the HBO Max release for Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@RABBITSMOKER wrote:

*SNIP*

I am  not interested in casting it. I am interested in getting what I payed for when I bought this product. Hassle free access to any and all available streaming apps. Especially the big ones like HBO.

I find your position both interesting and slightly puzzling. Our total investment so far in Roku has been a Premiere + at around $50 I think and an extra remote for said Roku at ~$20. We have another, a Roku3 that we received as a gift some seven years ago. We decided we needed two devices when we cut the cord and we chose Roku because we liked the interface and quality, and because we were going with Youtube TV, which is not supported by Amazon.

That said, I don't see any way, for us, that we aren't getting our money's worth. It's a minimal investment for all it provides. We can still access regular HBO content on it and casting to it for HBO Max until this is sorted is not too much of a hardship for all else that we like about it for a $70 investment.

Are you into Roku for some serious money?

Just my 2 cents.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Update: I've also bought and installed the new Chromecast in order to get HBO Max, and cancelled my Roku HBO subscription. As of now, I prefer Roku's channel-based interface, maybe just because it's what I'm used to, so I'm sticking with Roku for most other channels. That may change when I install the Atmos speakers, because the Chromecast supports the channels that stream Atmos.

BTW, I think it does us a huge favor to have it regularly noted how many new members are joining this forum just because they're upset that the Roku / HBO feud keeps them from viewing HBO Max. Since most customers never bother posting on forums unless something really ticks them off, the fact that this topic has brought so many new posters is certainly food for thought...

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Iona-D wrote:

@fluke 

I will be honest with you.  I would not even consider working for Roku in ANY position now or in the next 5 years.  The “old” Roku that catered to the cord cutter crowd no longer exists anymore as far as being user orientated.  The company has already left their fandom behind a very long time ago.     ...

Cut labor to the bone, shift interest/attention from the customer to the upper level people, and shareholders and reap the additional profits. ...

I see Roku being snapped up eventually by another bigger fish sooner or later and simply disappear into that corporation’s own R&D department somewhere and quickly absorbed.  Roku’s newly former owners and shareholders will happily disappear into the sunset with their much fatter portfolios intact plus a lot more extra cash in their bank accounts.  The  now far fewer rank and file regular lower level employees left will disappear as well.  To the unemployment/welfare line.  And the consumer?  What can I say.  Nobody on this forum has/will have no place there anymore.

Interesting take. I see a few problems:

First, your take runs 180 degrees counter to the article you link. It paints a rosy picture for Roku going forward.

Second, WarnerMedia has had layoffs since the launch of HBO Max. I can't find anything about Roku having layoffs. So how is Roku cutting labor to the bone?

Third, Roku fandom seems to be doing fine overall. HBO Max has had an impact, but it doesn't seem to be very large.

Fourth, distribution and advertising is the way a lot of companies have made money over the years, and many continue to succeed that way today.

Fifth, while catering to reasonable demands of customers is important to the bottom line, companies are required by law to do their best to make a profit for their investors. Caving in to unreasonable demands in contract negotiations might be good for short term customer relations, but if it is damaging to the bottom line the CEO and board could find themselves not only out of work, but facing jail time for fiduciary malfeasance. 

And the all bold message was really obnoxious.