Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: HBO Max & ROKU solved

Jump to solution

This is exactly what I did.  I bought a cheap fire stick on Black Friday.

Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

I see a bunch of people here acting as if ROKU is in the wrong for telling a huge corporate conglomerate to take a hike for not wanting to make a deal similar to the one they already have for their existing product. Frankly, I think it is pathetic to stand with the big guy over the little guy. You do you, though. I'm sure some boots need cleaning somewhere. 

Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the constructive comment. If you had the time to spend on pointless anger, your life must be going great.

@eboe wrote:

I see a bunch of people here acting as if ROKU is in the wrong for telling a huge corporate conglomerate to take a hike for not wanting to make a deal similar to the one they already have for their existing product. Frankly, I think it is pathetic to stand with the big guy over the little guy. You do you, though. I'm sure some boots need cleaning somewhere. 

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

Well it seems almost every other smart tv platform has made the deal with HBO Max. Amazon just completed a deal and they were a major holdout. Roku is now the biggest player that has not signed on. If you want to give your support to a smaller company that's fine. I have DIRECTV with HBO. They have informed me that I can get HBO Max at no additional charge. That's great except I purchased the wrong TV a TCL with Roku and that is the thing that is blocking it. I don't think TCL's Roku platform is any better than Samsung's smart platform. As a consumer if I had known this was going to be an issue I would have purchased the Samsung instead. Little guy big guy battles wouldn't have swayed me to purchase the TCL and just go without HBO Max..

@Jeff12345 wrote:

Thanks for the constructive comment. If you had the time to spend on pointless anger, your life must be going great.

@eboe wrote:

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Don't much care about small vs. large companies.  I'm the customer and if ROKU won't provide full service (for something already free for me) then I'll go find the service elsewhere.  This would be for the same reason I ditched Apple TV years ago as they withheld streaming choices.  This weekend, I nearly pulled the trigger on a new Amazon Firestick Lite, as I need another streaming stick, but I just didn't get around to ordering it.  ROKU must be losing sales over this with all the "Black Friday" purchasing/deals going down (Amazon's Firestick Lite price <$20).  They're making a business decision here by not offering, or delaying closing a deal with, HBO Max, and I'm making a customer decision by not waiting on them to fish or cut bait.

Level 12

Jump to solution

@Markhoff12000 wrote:

Don't much care about small vs. large companies.  I'm the customer and if ROKU won't provide full service (for something already free for me) then I'll go find the service elsewhere.  This would be for the same reason I ditched Apple TV years ago as they withheld streaming choices.  This weekend, I nearly pulled the trigger on a new Amazon Firestick Lite, as I need another streaming stick, but I just didn't get around to ordering it.  ROKU must be losing sales over this with all the "Black Friday" purchasing/deals going down (Amazon's Firestick Lite price <$20).  They're making a business decision here by not offering, or delaying closing a deal with, HBO Max, and I'm making a customer decision by not waiting on them to fish or cut bait.

I would recommend buying another brand device if always having the maximum streaming availability. But I would not lay sole blame for this situation on Roku. The reasons have been stated many times in this thread. But there are always to sides to every situation, and that is true in this one.

Level 8

Jump to solution

Two Words

Air Play 

I had HBO Max since they first came out with it and I was so frustrated. I called their customer care and was told to just be patient. Eventually I canceled HBO Max because every call ended the same way HBO Max isn’t available on Roku yet BUT ...

Roku Ultra Just added Air Play. 

SO ...

As soon as I added Air Play every website with video from YouTube to Daily Motion had a new option to play the video from my iPhone to my Roku Air Play  

I signed up for a new trial to test out my idea about this work around. 

And it worked. 

Level 8

Jump to solution

Pointless anger? I've been reading a bunch of people complaining back and forth for months now on this thread, and not weighed in. I see so many people quick to blame ROKU when it is well known how channel content providers strong-arm cable companies and the like into carrying their channels. It might be harder for me to get behind, say, Time Warner, but in this scenario, having seen precisely that ROKU simply wants the same deal they are getting for HBO, and HBO is holding out over wanting a better deal, I know who is to blame here. Defending the company trying to get a sweetheart deal is pointless. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

It isn't as if you pay ROKU for service, either. They make their money from you once if you don't subscribe to their channel. At best they make passive money when you download and use an app from the app provider. But like I said, you do you. Because I did say that, after all. And HBO is the one trying to fleece them. If the only way you made revenue was being held over your head in order to keep receiving that revenue, would you fight for it to stay the same? I believe this is what would be called a strike. And you want them to capitulate to the company telling them "take less money or you don't get it, even though we give you more for our other product". Oh, I forgot, consumers as a whole in the US don't give a care (excessive filtering here, for crying out loud, the word I used is allowed in G-rated movies.), their attitude tends to be more often than not, "as long as I've got what I want, why should I care?"

Decades of that attitude gets us WalMart and no small shops anymore. 

0 Kudos
Level 11

Jump to solution

One hundred eighty seven days and counting.

0 Kudos