Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

@Fred3 wrote:

Now we know why AT&T CEO John Stankey was running around earlier this week, giving neck-vein bulging, rage-a-holic interviews to the press, claiming that historically monopolistic AT&T was being bullied by tiny ROKU by trying to enforce existing deal terms. Tomorrow he has to give a presentation to investors to explain why AT&T’s stock price is circling the bowl and why HBO MAX has anemic revenue and subscriptions. Sadly he tried to doctor his presentation with a plan to rollout MAX in GM cars so that commuters can watch “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” reruns while driving to work.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-21/at-t-investors-await-signs-that-hbo-max-has-found...

Oh wow!  Did you watch the video of him posted on the Wall Street Journal?  The video was posted on October 19th is the title of "AT&T Chief Says Tech Giants Hold Too Much Power Over Streaming"

John Stankey has an MBA degree from UCLA?? You wouldn't be able to tell from how this guy rambles on and on.  He also takes dishonesty to the next level.

Here is what I was able to transcribe of John Stankey from the WSJ interview:

I am trying to remember when we were last a gatekeeper, it has been a long time.

Uh, if we think about what happens moving forward and the dynamic.

Uh, there is no doubt that we really should be focused on equality of access of edge-providers and those that are owning operating systems or have incredibly powerful platforms that have aggregated huge amounts of the customer base.

Uhm, I chuckle and I think back about the calories that were expended over something like net neutrality when you kind of look at this moment we have come to where networks have been absolutely so critical moving through this pandemic and you know there has not been single instances of somebody talking about well my network provider blocked me or you know prevented me from doing what I wanted to do.

In fact, I think the policy that is in place has allowed for incredibly scaled broadband networks to perform incredibly well. That is a bit different than what we have seen in other parts of the world.

Yet where the bottlenecks are sometimes occurring are in these commercial agreements and dynamics that are happening between say an amazon fire distribution platform or as you eluted to what is happening on iOS and maybe a gaming player on it.

I think our focus probably needs to be on equity of rules and engagement to ensure that anyone that wants to innovate can take these platforms that have over 50% share in many instances and everyone can equally get out to it.

But this is a debate about the edge, not a debate about network neutrality that I think we are going to have to be mindful of.

Back in June, three Senators (Ed Markey, Ron Wyden and Richard Blumenthal) wrote AT&T regarding them zero-rating HBO Max.  Unlike other streaming services, HBO Max doesn't count towards AT&T data caps and overage fees.  The Senators pointed out that this obvious violation of net neutrality results in stifling competition.  AT&T calls this gatekeeping method of putting a chilling effect of overage fees on majority of services by the AT&T product name of "Sponsored Data."

Now he is pretending like that letter never existed?  He can't remember the last time AT&T was a gatekeeper??  Here is a quick reminder for John Stankey: *TODAY*  Right now is the last time AT&T has had a zero-rated data gatekeeper business model.

Then he attempts to do some Jedi mind trick that we shouldn't pay attention to AT&T's violation of net neutrality but instead should focus on edge devices.  Reading between the lines of his "equity of rules of engagement," he seems to be seeking for government to give AT&T the power to force demands on edge device manufactors.

This wouldn't be the first time AT&T attempted to control network edge device manufactors.  In 1956, AT&T lost a landmask court case with Hush-A-Phone which open the door for telecomm edge device manufactors to sell devices to contect to AT&T's network.  Without the court case, it is unlikely computer modems would have ever existed.  Without modems, the rise of general consumer access to the internet probably would not have taken place.

Yet, he somehow goes from saying that the Internet has been critical during a pandemic to then indicating we should roll back time to before 1956 when AT&T thought it had the legal right to control edge devices as well.  Serously?!

It is self serving for John Stankey to claim the debate shouldn't be about network neutrality.  Just as the three senators have pointed out, AT&T is gatekeeping those that want to inovate.

At least John Stankey has made it clear there is more at stake here than just HBO Max.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

HBO now isn't available on Roku either now what

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

I'm really close to throwing out this Roku and buying a new TV it's not like anybody's going to buy it it's not worth anything

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@MistyB6 wrote:

You have to use the regular HBO app instead of HBO Now

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@CaptGrumpy wrote:

@MistyB6 wrote:

As the Cap just said, HBO Now has been replaced by just HBO.

The Roku Channel is here:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/0529e360dc0e338a1ccad45a874a7dc6/hbo 

It should get  you to the same sort of content that HBO Now did.  For the full HBO Max content you will still need to do screen mirroring either via Miracast or for Mac/iPhone/iPad with the Roku Ultra 2020 via AirPlay 2.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

@CaptGrumpy wrote:

@MistyB6 wrote:

It should get  you to the same sort of content that HBO Now did.  For the full HBO Max content you will still need to do screen mirroring either via Miracast or for Mac/iPhone/iPad with the Roku Ultra 2020 via AirPlay 2.

Or you could buy a stock android device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

@fluke wrote:

@CaptGrumpy wrote:

@MistyB6 wrote:

Or you could buy a stock android device.

That hasn't worked out well for me at all

Search HBO Go on Roku could be done with an on-screen grid in the following format:

a b c d e f
g h i j k l
m n o p q r
s t u v w x
y z 0 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9
[trash] [space] [backspace]

HBO Max on Android has a straight line search of:

[space] [backspace] A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

To get from a to g on Roku involve pressing down once.  Going from a to y is down 4 times.

To get from a to g on HBO Max requires pressing right 6 times.  Going from a to y is pressing right 24 times.

I could go into great detail on how this compounds quickly when search for entire words but it might be better if I leave that for the reader to figure out.

Overall, "Max" seems to be a reference to the number of times you have to press a direction to do searches in the app.

The situation with HBO Max search doesn't feel as bad when used on a Samsung phone projected to a Roku.  But the HBO Max app installed directly on Android TV is just completely awful.

I have tried to figure out how an app with this sad of an user interface could be released in 2020.  My imagination has come up with the interviewer for the programmer to make the app to have gone like this:

Pretend HBO: "What is your qualifications to make the HBO Max app?"

Interviewee: "I took a class in high school"

Pretend HBO: "Did you make an app for Android?"

Interviewee: "Yes"

Pretend HBO: "What did the app do?"

Interviewee: "It displayed the words 'HELLO WORLD'"

Pretend HBO: "Are you willing to be paid in AT&T roll over minutes?"

Interviewee: "Sure!"

Pretend HBO: "Your hired!"

I have no proof such a conversation really took place but it would explain why HBO Max has user interface concepts that deserves getting an F if used on a CS 101 college course assignment.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

HBO Go and HBO Now are both simply HBO currently on Roku

@MistyB6 wrote:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This reply is terrible...just give the customers what they want, which is HBO Max

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

Either way expect to wait a very long time.  It took 2 MONTHS to get Peacock.  And only after a threatened exodus of already offered multiple NBC freebie apps from Roku's home screen.

Think about that part.

0 Kudos