Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@cromagnon wrote:

Not that complicated?! Try explaining to a non technical person that they need to connect to HBO from a laptop, sign in with their provider credentials, create a new account using a different email address, then setup a password, and then login to the HBO app with this new account!

Is that how it worked for you?  Because that was not my experience at all.  I get HBO Max through Hulu.  I log into HBO app (or HBO Max app) with my Hulu credentials.  Done.  This is how it works for my parents who get HBO Max through DirectTV as well.  This is how it has worked for years when logging into the HBO apps when you are subscribed through a different provider.  I'm not sure who told you that you need to create a new account.  But they are wrong.

The issue is watching this content on my TV.  I currently just hook up my phone or tablet to an HDMI port and switch the input.  I suspect this would be the more difficult step for non-technical users...not logging into the app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Whats the deal Roku, theres way too many delays with getting apps waiting on "deals" to be made.  

When i got the TV that wasnt the angle the company was going with, i feel lied to.

Im sick and tired of this nonsense, I've had enough, i really have no choice but to sell or throw my Roku tv's away just so i can start watching the streaming services i want. 

As my friends and family's "tech guy" I honestly cannot ever recommend roku products to them.  

Your corporate greed will be the reason you lose my business forever. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Matt-M wrote:

@cromagnon wrote:

Not that complicated?! Try explaining to a non technical person that they need to connect to HBO from a laptop, sign in with their provider credentials, create a new account using a different email address, then setup a password, and then login to the HBO app with this new account!

Is that how it worked for you?  Because that was not my experience at all.  I get HBO Max through Hulu.  I log into HBO app (or HBO Max app) with my Hulu credentials.  Done.  This is how it works for my parents who get HBO Max through DirectTV as well.  This is how it has worked for years when logging into the HBO apps when you are subscribed through a different provider.  I'm not sure who told you that you need to create a new account.  But they are wrong.

The issue is watching this content on my TV.  I currently just hook up my phone or tablet to an HDMI port and switch the input.  I suspect this would be the more difficult step for non-technical users...not logging into the app.

Yes that’s what I had to do to be able to stream HBO from my Roku to my TV (I pay for HBO via my Verizon FIOS so had to login to HBO using my Verizon ID from a PC, then create a new HBOmax account to be able to login from my Roku using the new HBO app)..

Trying

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Mike22 wrote:

Whats the deal Roku, theres way too many delays with getting apps waiting on "deals" to be made.  

When i got the TV that wasnt the angle the company was going with, i feel lied to.

Im sick and tired of this nonsense, I've had enough, i really have no choice but to sell or throw my Roku tv's away just so i can start watching the streaming services i want. 

As my friends and family's "tech guy" I honestly cannot ever recommend roku products to them.  

You’re going to throw your tv away because you can’t watch the streaming services you want?  Is everything you want to stream on HBO Max? I’m curious who you’re going to replace ROKU with. I’m also very curious why you solely blame “greedy” ROKU and not HBO / AT&T for the impasse. 

The drama here is far better than anything HBO can offer! Geez!

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Peacock and Roku, Inc. today announced the Peacock app is now available nationwide on the Roku ® platform, reaching households with an estimated 100 million people. "We are excited to bring Peacock and its unrivaled catalog to millions of Americans who enjoy entertainment on their favorite Roku devices,"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Mike22 wrote:

Wow, most of us are having enough trouble getting thru this pandemic slowed economy, while you have the extra money to buy a new tv, not because it doesn't work, but because you don't get the channel you want when you want it. How lucky you are. 

TBH, I felt the same way until I found that mirrorcasting my phone to the tv works JUST as well. Yeah, it's an extra step, but it'll work because I have to live with the tv I have. Besides MAX isn't the only thing I stream.

BTW, I also hold Warner more responsible than Roku, because I pre-registered for the service and they didn't bother to tell me there was no Roku coverage.

Welp, I guess some of us are luckier than others. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@cromagnon wrote:

Yes that’s what I had to do to be able to stream HBO from my Roku to my TV (I pay for HBO via my Verizon FIOS so had to login to HBO using my Verizon ID from a PC, then create a new HBOmax account to be able to login from my Roku using the new HBO app)..

When was that?   I think that was the case back in 2018, but was resolved quite a while ago.  My friends that have HBO through Verizon FIOS in VA are able to log into the HBO Max app using their Verizon login.  And HBO says this is the case too.  No separate login necessary.  Maybe you did an extra unnecessary step?  Or perhaps this was the case years ago, but is no longer needed.

https://www.hbomax.com/do-i-already-have-access

HBO.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Matt-M wrote:

@cromagnon wrote:

When was that?   I think that was the case back in 2018, but was resolved quite a while ago.  My friends that have HBO through Verizon FIOS in VA are able to log into the HBO Max app using their Verizon login.  And HBO says this is the case too.  No separate login necessary.  Maybe you did an extra unnecessary step?  Or perhaps this was the case years ago, but is no longer needed.

https://www.hbomax.com/do-i-already-have-access

HBO.JPG

Your friend logs into the HBOmax app using their FIOS credentials? From a Roku? Did you mean they logged into the hbo app since there is no HBOmax app of course:-)

If so then I guess they must have fixed that but when I tried a month or so ago after HBOgo was dropped from roku my Verizon FIOS login didn’t work on the new Roku HBO app

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@BagOfIce wrote:

The drama here is far better than anything HBO can offer! Geez!

I know right. It's unbelievable how dramatic they are about it, as if Roku cares if they toss out devices they already paid for. Ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Matt-M wrote:

This is great news!  Although as late as yesterday it was headed in the opposite direction with NBCUniversal demanding that Roku remove all 10+ NBCUniversal apps within the next few days. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nbcuniversal-threatens-pull-channels-roku-145147260.html

So, while this is good news (?) it really doesn't fill me with confidence that Roku is the stable base platform that consumers can continue to count on.

We'll see what happens with HBO Max and whether they can can come to a similar agreement with Roku very soon.  

No. NBCUniversal actually made a treat to force Roku to remove 46 NBCU apps. Roku called them on their threat.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/roku-nbcuniversal-peacock-deal-nbc-tv-apps-1234775220

What no one can count on is services like Peacock TV & HBO Max not screwing it's subscribers. Both of those services took money from people knowing there was no deal with Roku & Amazon Fire TV. People like you might find corporations that screw people honorable and trustworthy. I have no doubt that the majority of Roku users, who by the way were not crying about Peacock or HBO Max, don't agree with you. I am certainly one of them.

0 Kudos