Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@Matt-M wrote:

As much as I like Roku (we have 4), I am seriously considering getting Apple TV 4K. The direction of streaming content like HBO Max and Peacock simply not being available on Roku is disappointing and frustrating.

Yes, we are still able to watch the content by connecting my iPhone to the TV via HDMI.  But that is not the experience I’ve come to expect from Roku and it’s not an encouraging direction for the future. 

I suggest we all start direct Tweeting @jasonkilar daily with our displeasure at HBO Max not being available on Roku. That is his verified Twitter account.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@oconnelllanders wrote:

I give you until Oct. 1, 2020 - No HBO MAX or Peacock. Then I will switch to AppleTV. 

That's being unfair to Roku, since the CEO of WarnerMedia has stated he is not going to come to an agreement until after the gift giving season. Or strongly implied that by saying he expects Roku and Amazon to "cave" come gift giving season to avoid losing sales. But if you want to actually start a campaign that might do something, direct tweet him @jasonkilar - his verified twitter account - to let him know that you are going to cancel HBO Max on October 1st. Even if you don't intend to, if enough people tell him they are, he may have to take notice. But don't blame Roku for not being able to come to an agreement with someone who obviously counts on two things: Current subscribers being more willing to pay for another device than give up the service and there being enough people who do not yet have a streaming device but want HBO Max to seriously effect Roku's future sales.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Question asked is “What’s happening to HBOMax on Roku?”

This is not a “solution”. It’s not even an answer to question.☹️

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

Thanks,
Danny

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well Roku and Comcast have reached an agreement for Peacock, and the app should be available in the next couple of weeks. Interesting that Amazon still has not come to an agreement.

Maybe this puts some pressure on AT&T to get HBO Max on Roku? AT&T is so screwed up though. HBO, HBO Max, HBO Now, HBO Go. They don’t seem till have an understanding of their content, its value, or how to market it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@BagOfIce wrote:

Well Roku and Comcast have reached an agreement for Peacock, and the app should be available in the next couple of weeks. Interesting that Amazon still has not come to an agreement.

Maybe this puts some pressure on AT&T to get HBO Max on Roku? AT&T is so screwed up though. HBO, HBO Max, HBO Now, HBO Go. They don’t seem till have an understanding of their content, its value, or how to market it. 

https://mashable.com/article/peacock-roku-arrival/

This is great news!  Although as late as yesterday it was headed in the opposite direction with NBCUniversal demanding that Roku remove all 10+ NBCUniversal apps within the next few days. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nbcuniversal-threatens-pull-channels-roku-145147260.html

So, while this is good news (?) it really doesn't fill me with confidence that Roku is the stable base platform that consumers can continue to count on.

We'll see what happens with HBO Max and whether they can can come to a similar agreement with Roku very soon.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@BagOfIce wrote:

AT&T is so screwed up though. HBO, HBO Max, HBO Now, HBO Go. They don’t seem till have an understanding of their content, its value, or how to market it. 

I agree there is still some work to do here, but HBO Now and HBO Go got folded into "HBO" (lower tier of content) a while ago.  All of the apps were merged into a single HBO legacy app and is on Roku and Fire TV.

So, not that complicated.  Lower tier content plan (HBO) available through cable companies and everything else is HBO Max.    

But if you want to watch your HBO Max content, you need the standalone app or Apple TV.  This is the part we want changed and allow Roku to get HBO Max app (and content)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

115 days and counting. I don't care who is at fault. 115 **bleep** days.  WTF! Is there no shame? Is anybody embarrassed by this fiasco?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

We know Danny, we know. Not helpful. We only look like dunces.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Matt-M wrote:

@BagOfIce wrote:

AT&T is so screwed up though. HBO, HBO Max, HBO Now, HBO Go. They don’t seem till have an understanding of their content, its value, or how to market it. 

I agree there is still some work to do here, but HBO Now and HBO Go got folded into "HBO" (lower tier of content) a while ago.  All of the apps were merged into a single HBO legacy app and is on Roku and Fire TV.

So, not that complicated.  Lower tier content plan (HBO) available through cable companies and everything else is HBO Max.    

But if you want to watch your HBO Max content, you need the standalone app or Apple TV.  This is the part we want changed and allow Roku to get HBO Max app (and content)

Not that complicated?! Try explaining to a non technical person that they need to connect to HBO from a laptop, sign in with their provider credentials, create a new account using a different email address, then setup a password, and then login to the HBO app with this new account!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

FIX! Requires a little legwork but heres how you access HBO Max content on the Roku. 
if you pay for Max you can go to the main menu of the roku, search desired content. The click the “included with subscription” & BOOM! access to max. Now you’ll have to do this with each individual movie/show you want to watch but at least it’s some way around it! Hope it helps!!!

0 Kudos