Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@ Jmsherman8

You seem to know a lot about the industry – executives names, incredible insight into board composition at Netflix and how many people HBO laid off during COVID-19. To put things in perspective, I had to google who Jason Kilar was... Do you work for Roku?

Both HBO and NBC were able to get on Apple TV somehow but not Roku.  As a developer, I know that Apple is notoriously difficult to deal with and that they never make exceptions. It means both HBO and NBC were fine accepting the standard Apple terms.  Both HBO and NBC are also on the record in public interviews that Roku is asking for something that is not standard and thus the deal didn’t happen.  Apparently someone at Roku got really greedy and wants more.  Never mind that millions of Roku customers now don’t have the same access to content that others enjoy.  The corporate greed doesn't surprise me. it’s the fact that Roku clearly misled me and other customers with the whole promise of neutrality that caught me off guard. This is why I am moving from Roku. The trust is gone. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

What do you think is better - Sabrina, Apple TV or Tivo?  I want to have a platform that is as open as possible.  

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Tic-Toc Tic-Toc

When will it be so painful to Roku and Warner that they will  come to terms with each other?

You can make all sorts of excuses for them, but as I see it, they've both lost sight of their targets which is the consumer. As time goes by,  other platforms become more attractive.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@dwharton wrote:

@ Jmsherman8

You seem to know a lot about the industry – executives names, incredible insight into board composition at Netflix and how many people HBO laid off during COVID-19. To put things in perspective, I had to google who Jason Kilar was... Do you work for Roku?

Both HBO and NBC were able to get on Apple TV somehow but not Roku.  As a developer, I know that Apple is notoriously difficult to deal with and that they never make exceptions. It means both HBO and NBC were fine accepting the standard Apple terms.  Both HBO and NBC are also on the record in public interviews that Roku is asking for something that is not standard and thus the deal didn’t happen.  Apparently someone at Roku got really greedy and wants more.  Never mind that millions of Roku customers now don’t have the same access to content that others enjoy.  The corporate greed doesn't surprise me. it’s the fact that Roku clearly misled me and other customers with the whole promise of neutrality that caught me off guard. This is why I am moving from Roku. The trust is gone. 

What “neutrality” did Roku “promise” you?  If Roku is offering terms similar to what others received isn’t that neutrality? Sounds like you don’t want neutrality but rather you want some special deals for HBO and Peacock.

Sorry that you have hurt feelings since the trust is gone. Peacock (Comcrap) and HBO ( AT&T) are amongst the most customer unfriendly companies on the planet. Truly terrible companies from top to bottom. Yet this is all Roku’s fault? Illogical, sad, and downright hilarious all at the same time. Cut your nose off to spite your face.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution
Both HBO and NBC were able to get on Apple TV somehow but not Roku.  As a developer, I know that Apple is notoriously difficult to deal with and that they never make exceptions. It means both HBO and NBC were fine accepting the standard Apple terms.  Both HBO and NBC are also on the record in public interviews that Roku is asking for something that is not standard and thus the deal didn’t happen.

I think this sums it up for me. These platforms are on Apple TV and not Roku (or Amazon Fire). So, while all parties share responsibility it seems that Roku (and Amazon) are asking for something above and beyond what Apple required. It makes Apple TV a more appealing platform than Roku having all your content in one place.  

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

Yeah that pretty much tells us they don't care how we feel about it or what we want doesn't it?

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

It is my understanding that Netflix owns Roku? Or at least a size able portion of it. If that is the case, then I would imagine there is a huge part of the problem. Look at how greedy netflix has gotten with their pricing models over the years. They are ridiculous. I wish they had stuck to content delivery, like in the beginning.

@Jmsherman8 wrote:
Again exactly right. The problem is I don't think Roku cares. I think at this point with over 100 pages of complaints, they would respond, or do something. Nope.

Hi Jmsherman8 (member since 06-24-2020),

You have an impressive little misinformation campaign going.

If you did your homework, then you would find that Roku is an independently traded company (stock symbol: Roku) that is separate from Netflix (stock symbol: NFLX).  The Roku board has seven (7) members of which only two held positions previously at Netflix.

As to Netflix being greedy, you are entitled to your opinion.  Their plans start at $9 while the list price of HBO Max is $15 so it is possible to get Netflix at 60% of the HBO Max monthly list price.  So with HBO Max going at 166% of a Netflix basic plan, who is looking greedy?

As to Roku "not caring," what exactly do you expect them to say that hasn't already been said?  How much of the situation is actually under Roku's control?

Take for example that during this thread it has been pointed out that there should not be gatekeepers to getting to see the HBO Watchmen series.  However, there is a gatekeeper to seeing Watchmen season 2.  HBO Max is the gatekeeper.  Roku has no say over if Watchmen is renewed for a second season.  But despite Watchmen getting an impressive Rotten Tomatoes critic score of 95%, you won't get a second season on *ANY* device regardless of how much money you give to HBO Max.  It was the choice of HBO and people like CEO Jason Kilar on if that would be available.

When it comes to HBO Max being available on Roku, just like with Watchmen, the choice is up to CEO Jason Kilar.  After 100 pages on the Roku forums about the situation, he still won't go into detail as why HBO Max still isn't available on Roku.  He has indicated he expects to get leverage by the holiday season and he is 'very happy' with HBO Max.  A highly regarded series on HBO is terminated before it's second season and 70% of streaming devices can't play HBO Max and he is ... very happy?  Does this sound like someone that "cares?"

Roku had put out a statement back in June expressing their own frustration with the situation with HBO.  They also provided statements related to this issue in their SEC quarterly report filed in August.  Among the risks to Roku's business is stated to be: "the addition or loss of popular content or channels"

They very much care about continuing to get channels with popular content.  But if you read the entire report it becomes clear that the biggest risk to Roku is the impact covid-19 will have across multiple areas of the company including possibly disruptions to supply or distribution chains.

So, let me spell out what consider to be behavior that indicates a lack of caring:

(1) Jason Kilar choosing to move forward with killed HBO Go on July 30th during a panademic

(2) Jason Kilar firing 150+ HBO employees during a panademic while also claiming to be happy about how successful HBO Max is

(3) Jason Kilar denying access to HBO Max to Roku users until the holiday season to get "leverage" (despite indications there are biggest issues Roku is facing and there is no additional leverage to be gained)

As to delusional claims that Netflix owns Roku, as far as I can tell it is just that, a delusional claim.  None of that is proof that Roku doesn't care.

Oh it isn't misinformation. Misinformation would be me saying THIS is what is happening. If you read what I wrote you will see that that is my interpretation of what is happening. Nice try though. Have a good day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

Yep. And let us not forget that on netflix you don't even get HD content until the second tier and 4k is reserved for the highest tier. All this is part of HBO Max.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@dwharton wrote:

@ Jmsherman8

dwharton,

I think you are confusing MY actual posts with the quotes that I use ahead of those posts.

I am quite sure if I worked for Roku right now they would NOT be happy with me. LOL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

I like Tivo stream 4k but that is because android TV is my go to when Roku fails.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@BagOfIce wrote:

@dwharton wrote:

@ Jmsherman8

What “neutrality” did Roku “promise” you?  If Roku is offering terms similar to what others received isn’t that neutrality? Sounds like you don’t want neutrality but rather you want some special deals for HBO and Peacock.

Sorry that you have hurt feelings since the trust is gone. Peacock (Comcrap) and HBO ( AT&T) are amongst the most customer unfriendly companies on the planet. Truly terrible companies from top to bottom. Yet this is all Roku’s fault? Illogical, sad, and downright hilarious all at the same time. Cut your nose off to spite your face.

It doesn't matter if they promised it or not, it is what the customer base expects now. And the difference is that that customer base will vote with dollars spent. These types of decisions are what destroys companies.